Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DUSS Kelvin - MSD of Sorts

joelcannjoelcann0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Here is a sneak peak of the direction I am going with my cutaways on the Kelvin. Since we never saw a true MSD in TOS and actually never saw a cutaway of the Kelvin on screen (at least not one I saw) this is going to be more of a computer display rather than a MSD like in the later series.

These bother are very early drafts of what I am looking at and the direction and detailing I might go with. As always I welcome all thoughts (as long as they are not bashing the new movie) and will try to explain my thought process as best as I can as I go.
79942.png
79943.jpg
Post edited by joelcann on
Tagged:

• EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    I think this is a good start. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure the Kelvin only had one row of shuttles, not two. That could have an effect on the size you end up with for the ship.
  • joelcannjoelcann0 Posts: 0Member
    Endeavour wrote: »
    I think this is a good start. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure the Kelvin only had one row of shuttles, not two. That could have an effect on the size you end up with for the ship.

I ended up going with two rows for two reasons...One based on the size of the ship itself and the number of shuttles launched during the evacuation there's no way that a single row of shuttles on either side of the bay could fit that many shuttles. The second reaon is that in the book Star Trek: Art of the Film there is a diagram of a shuttle bay in a screen clip for the Kelvin and it looks like there are two levels in the shuttle bay.

If you have any other reference material that helps show a single row please let me know where to get it and I can make the corrections.
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Honestly, it's really difficult to tell. I've found a few hi-def images I'll link to that may be helpful, but as I said it isn't specifically visible whether there are one or two rows.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4
    Thanks Endeavour...image 3 and image 4 to me prove that the Kelvin does have two levels. Look at image 4 again. The shuttle in flight is right at the mid level of the hanger deck. There is a shuttle behind him that appears to be flying lower and on the left side of the screen in a shuttle still sitting in the docked position and you can see a landing shelf above that one. For me this image provides the best evidence that there are two levels.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, there are definitely two levels there.
    I'm just glad someone had some good pics to prove my thought process....I wasn't looking forward to re-designing the shuttle bay :-)
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Very nice. You've taken into account that the turbolift was heading down into the landing bay as well. I like how you've handled it.
    TrekMD wrote: »
    Very nice. You've taken into account that the turbolift was heading down into the landing bay as well. I like how you've handled it.

Thank you TrekMD...believe it or not that turbo lift scene has caused more headache it trying to figure out the Engineering spaces thatn you would belive...but I think it works for my purposes.
    Oh, I'd imagine. I do agree with you that what you have come up with does work.
    Thanks...working on an update today. Hopefully have it up this afternoon.
    it's been a while since I have been able to play with this. Didn't a whole lot updated but I was able to add the phaser banks, shield generators, detailing to the engineering hull and torpedo launchers. I couldn't find any solid evidence that the Kelvin had torpedo launchers but I also found nothing to disprove them so I took creative liberty to add both fore and aft launchers. Thats how they would be on my ship anyways and I know that some may disapprove of the aft launcher due to the fact that TOS never showed aft launchers on their ships. But since we don't know what JJ intended I went with what I would want on my ship.

Brad I will get an updated version of your PCAP up as well. I downloaded it on my wifes laptop and forgot to transfer it over to mine so I haven't had it with me

On a side note - The transporter room. I have seen MSD's that show the transport room on one deck with other rooms right below it and then I have seen MSD's with transporter rooms connected to the deck below it and above it...What are your suggestions on this? I placed the tranporter room on the same deck as sickbay but should it be moved down a deck with the decks above and below containing transporter buffers and everything else?
    80607.png
    Nice. I agree with you regarding photon torpedo bays. It would make sense to have fore and aft launchers.
    With the trouble I plan on getting into, fore and aft launchers are going to be greatly needed :-)
    Here is another update but this time with a different PCAP background.
    80769.jpg
  • Kmpr´rakKmpr´rak171 Posts: 12Member
    Your work is excellent! :D
    Your work is excellent! :D

Thanks Kmpr'rak...you and the others have been a great inspiration and a wealth of knowledge to me. Thansk for allyour help...
  • Kmpr´rakKmpr´rak171 Posts: 12Member
    No problem. We all learn from each other!
    LOL...I hate to know what poor soul is learning from me :-)
    Made some minor changes to the ship and completely changed out the PCAP screen. I mirror a PCAP screen shot from one of the rear bridge displays and merged it with the Kevlin. Personally I think it came out very nice and very simple. I left the detailing of the Kelvin to only the major systems to keep it simple and somewhat TOS feeling.
    82023.png