Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DUSS Kelvin - TOS Style

joelcannjoelcann0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hello all,
I am not new but this is my first project to post on this site. This is just a fun poke at the Kelvin taking it and blending it into the TOS envrionment.
79744.png
Post edited by joelcann on
Tagged:

• JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    That's actually pretty neat.
  • joelcannjoelcann0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you.
  • Halo BuffHalo Buff331 Posts: 0Member
    Don't suppose you'd do a 3d mesh? I'm interested in seeing that.
    Sorry Halo Buff...I am just learning how to use this program and have never even attempted any 3d type art...there are several really nice Kelvin messhes on this site that are downloadable, check the main board for them...I wish I could do 3d but this is only my third project using inkscape and as I mentioned I am self teaching so I am a longway from 3d projects.
  • Kmpr´rakKmpr´rak171 Posts: 12Member
    Nice to see your stuff here! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hmmm. I see one problem right away. The reactors will if jetisoned go right into the warp nacelle. But other than that, a fine start.
    Nice to see your stuff here! :cool:

Thanks kmpr'rak...I have watched alot of great projects here for a long time and finally decided I might as well put them up here too.
    Nick R. wrote: »
    Hmmm. I see one problem right away. The reactors will if jetisoned go right into the warp nacelle. But other than that, a fine start.

That was one of the first thoughts I had as well but after re-watching the core ejection sequence on the Enterprise I realized that the cores themselves would not need to eject that far down therefore not actually impacting the nacelle. The cores from Ent did not eject more than half way up the nacelle pylons and momentum pulled them away fromt he ship.

My other reason for putting them there is that in the book "Star Trek: Art of the Film" there is a pic of the Kelvin bridge and in the background is what appears to be some form of MSD or vessel engineering cutaway. There is what looks like a long white conduit traveling along the lower section of the engineering hull and then that line breaks down and travels into the saucer and then into the warp nacelle. It's not labled in the book so I cannot be sure that is what it is but it makes sense. Also with the turboshafts (again trying to fit in the captains downward approach to the shuttlebay) I had no room in the upper hull assembly to place the cores. I am still playing with it a bit and will see if they stay there or if I move them.
    Well it isn't your problem that Hollywood can't tell up from down. It is their's.

But as for the ejection of antimatter pods, or reactors, remember Newton's Three laws of Motion. The pods are going to keep going in same direction. But once again that isn't your problem, you just trying to do a good job.
    Nick R. wrote: »
    Well it isn't your problem that Hollywood can't tell up from down. It is their's.

But as for the ejection of antimatter pods, or reactors, remember Newton's Three laws of Motion. The pods are going to keep going in same direction. But once again that isn't your problem, you just trying to do a good job.

That is a good point and I had thought about that to some minor extend. To tell you the truth another problem I saw with the cores being on the lower side is that they are ejecting down directly infront of the impulse flow...In my thought there's no way to know how the cores will react to the force of the impulse wake coming off the impulse engines. Ideally I would have thought the cores to have been at the top of the engineering section but I just don't see how to make it work with what hollywood gave us.

Suggestions or thoughts please.
    Well here is one problem. The Impluse engines are supposed to be a back up/emergency system. What this means is that in all the series, they shouldn't have been used as much. Another way of refering to them is the same way the diesel engine on a nuclear submarine functions. Emergency use only.

This means that you can forget them for the most part.

But what happens if the ship needs power right then, beyond the ability of the batteries to provide for? You design for the worst case, and hope for the best. So the Impulse exhaust isn't something to worry about from that perspective.

Still another perspective. In reality fusion drives might be very low thrust, high Impulse Specific. This means it doesn't much in the way of fuel to last a long time. In more concrete terms, Impluse Specific deals with the number of seconds it takes to one pound of fuel to last. Or how many pounds of thrust can be produced in one second. With fusion the Isp is about 10^7 seconds.

This leaves us with a major problem. There is no way in the universe, that simple fusion can be used. What should be, is a matter-antimatter rocket. Where at best milligrams of antimatter are used to 'ignite' a fusion reaction. More likely micrograms - for most work.

Look up Project Deadalus by the Britsh Interplanetary Soceity in the 1970s. The talk about laser triggered fusion taking about five years to get up to 13%+ of the speed of light.
    Thanks for the info...
    I realized last night that I didn't go far enough.

There is another problem.

In the TOS episode The Doomsday Machine it is mentioned that if a Constitution class impulse engine went into over load, and blew up the enrgy release would be 97.835 megatons. This is a one time release. But what is the nergy release over a period of thirty days? The specified time for the Impulse fuel to last? Assuming that the total energy is always the same, might get one into a tad bit of trouble, for we don't know enough. In terms of per second energy release it comes out to 37.745 tons per second... A bit on the low side I would say.
    That is an interesting point and very valid when trying to figure this problem out but the one thing we can't get around is Hollywood gave us a bum design as far as interanl structuring goes...If we were to take the turbo shaft (downward fall) out of the movie then we can find an easier way to place the cores a top the engineering section.

Another possibility, although a long shot in the design process would to have the cores eject up and through the shuttle bay and out the top of the engineering section. We know that the shuttle bay stays open to space and based on the Enterprises ejection sequence the ejection support system release and shoots the cores straight up and out the ports of the enterprise. Could the Kelvin have a similar system that shoots the cores straight up through the shuttle bay's mid section and then out the top of the engineering hull??? Food for thought at any level. Since we have no real graphics of the inside of the ship we can really take this to just about any level we want.
  • nhallnhall171 Posts: 0Member
    Well, since this is a cutaway, and not a 3D representation, who's to say that the cores don't eject down and diagonally? That way, they'd clear the nacelle and your schematic is still good. Just a thought.
    True.

But remember Newton's Third Law.

You are going to be ejecting something that is massive. This is going to have an effect. What this means is that some sort of balance is required.
    It would be better to have them eject to each side, at the same time, this would require an even number of them. Also an even ejecting at the same time in opposite directions.

Then what happens if your enemy has got some smarts? And destroys them as they eject? That much antimatter in the local neighbor hood...
  • nhallnhall171 Posts: 0Member
    "Then what happens if your enemy has got some smarts? And destroys them as they eject? That much antimatter in the local neighbor hood... " Well, it's a good point, but that's going to apply with any warp ejection system. (Even with the non-JJ-verse cores) The point is to at least attempt to get the things away from the ship if they're going to explode. That said, it's just an option for the purpose of the MSD, and this way, he doesn't have to change anything.
    Very interesting thought nhall...another possibility is that the turbolift system is not in the middle of the engineering hull and the cores therefore could be in the mid section along the top for an upward ejection??? However that then does not explain what the power systems are in the book "Art of the Film" directly below the shuttle bay.

A side to side ejection system would be possible but there would be a large section of the engineering hull on both sides of the cores that would have to remain open at all times thus waisting considerable engineering space within the ship. However looking at the films view of the engineering compartments I do'nt think they are worried about waisting space internally as long as it films nicely. :-)
    The antimatter pods(reactors?) could still be along the bottom, but pointing to the side, instead of down.

@ nhall your point is well taken. What it means is that the ejection system has have the pods(reactors?) clear the ship fast. So that in one or two seconds at best they would be at least fifty miles + away.

Thinking further upon this, having them be reactors as well means you spread out the risk. This reduces the over all threat from some malfunction as well. And there is still a good chance of still having your ship powered up as well at the end of the day...
    In studying one of the models from the Art of the Film book there are four openings atop the engineering hull just behind the deflector array assembly...wondering if these could possibly be ejector ports and what I am looking at on the inside is something else???

Also - what if the cores were moved further back towards the rear of the ship so that they could be ejected straight behind the ship thus ejecting them in the oppsite direction of the ships main motion. That would help get them further away from the ship much faster.
    Also - what if the cores were moved further back towards the rear of the ship so that they could be ejected straight behind the ship thus ejecting them in the oppsite direction of the ships main motion. That would help get them further away from the ship much faster.

No it wouldn't. Once they are gone they are on their own. Meaning that they need their own method of movement away from the ship once ejected. Once that is used up then there is nothing more to be done by them.

What can be done is to move the ship herself, if possible.

So what this adds up to, is that the total emergency 'package' has to be set up for worst case. This means that one must expect that the pods(reactors) on totally on their own. What this implies is that you can expect the ship to move for one reason or another, so they have to do it. The ship may be in a position to move but don't count on it.

In other words a failsafe system.

Based upon my curent undrstanding the pods must get to fifty plus miles away, just to be safe.

In other words everything must be in relation to the ship.
    In that case going back to a side ways ejection system, is there anything in TOS that states the reactors must be standing 'upright' rather than laying on their sides for a side ways ejection?
    No.

Remember that there is no up or down in space per se. What you have is human reference points.
    Given that thought then there are some very interesting possibilities that could be done to make this engineering section more than it appeared. I think it is worth taking another look at and maybe playing with some different alterations just for the fun of it.
    Good. Go for it.
    I took my Kelvin and reworked a bit of engineering, the shuttle bay and cargo facilities. I moved the warp reactors to the upper levels of engineering so that they could be ejected striaght up and out of the ship rather than down towards the warp nacelle. I removed the turbo shaft seen in the movie and cross placed it with storage tanks. I removed the aft torpedo launchers and condensed the shuttlebay down to one level. Lastly I recolored the entire image using only the TOS colors that I used on my Miranda variant. Hope you like, I thought it turned out rather nice myself.
    80851.png
    I am taking a new direction with this TOS version of the Kelvin. In talking with some strong fans of the TOS era I decided to take the Kelvin and give it a full TOS make over. This is not screen accurate by any means but is meant to feel and look more like a TOS ship from the 60's. Engineering has been reworked to inculde the matter/anti-matter intergrators, warp reacotrs have been moved down to run inline with engineering and the intergrator. I have added a simple TOS bridge to deck one and have reworked the shuttle bay.

Please bring on any suggestions or thoughts...:cool:
    81105.png
    Made several changes to this TOS version of the Kelvin...had laptop issues over the past couple of weeks so I have not too much to report but I do very much like the changes and the direction this ship has taken with me. I have added a bridge to the ship as well which is the first time I have tried something this detailed. Please let me know what you like or do not like, I welcome all comments.
    81105.png
  • Nice work indeed!