Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTrek Nova Class (In Blender)

• Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    Don't feel so bad, Pol. I've been working on a much simpler shape for months and can't even get it right.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    ...But in the end, every time you start over it gets a little better.

I'd say it was definitly worth it, because it's looking very good :)

Maybe at a later date, when you apply what you learned on something completely different, you'll have an idea how you could've done this differently, and then you'll wanna go back and start over again :D :p
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Melak wrote: »
    ...But in the end, every time you start over it gets a little better.

I'd say it was definitly worth it, because it's looking very good :)

Maybe at a later date, when you apply what you learned on something completely different, you'll have an idea how you could've done this differently, and then you'll wanna go back and start over again :D :p

Almost certainly. Every mesh I do makes me want to do every mesh I have already done over.
  • Kenshin_TakaiKenshin_Takai0 Posts: 0Member
    Love the updates! You've progressed quite quickly. Keep up the excellent work.

I'd probably focus on the deflector and/or nacelles next, but that's just me.
    Thanks. As a matter of fact, I did decide to tackle the deflectors next.
    Right on! I look forward to seeing the results.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Looks fine for me. Go ahead!
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Hi,

Your model is looking really good.

-Brian
  • borybory0 Posts: 0Member
    ItA’s nice piece of good work. IA’m looking forward for another updates...
    Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. It makes all the difference to me.

Another update. Doing the window cutting and other fine detailing. Have also started on the textures. I'm "building in" the texture on this one, by changing the color and spec of individual faces. I still have to add a lot of the color and spec differentiation that will make the hull look paneled, but the general color layout is mostly done.

The studio model does not seem to have the 2 panel color layout that is the hallmark of the Galaxy and Intrepid classes, but I'm adding one anyway. It's what I'm used to seeing on ships of this era, and I like the way it looks. I guess there are enough compromises with this mesh, that it is becoming more my own "version" of the ship, rather than a truly faithful copy of the studio model. But I think I can live with that.

Another week or two and she should finally be finished. Lots of little chores to complete on this gal. Feel free to comment and criticize; I know she is far from perfect...
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    Hey Polaris. Would you mind sending me the mesh in .OBJ when you're done?
    Far from perfect, well...nothing's perfect, however I do have to say you are doing quite well indeed. I'm loving the additions you've doused upon the mesh, they add a much more toned degree of finesse, deeply adding detail. Perhaps in the near future you'd be interested in a collab, as I work on my station.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work Polaris, your nova class ship is really looking great:thumb:
    Hey Polaris. Would you mind sending me the mesh in .OBJ when you're done?

I think that will be possible, killakanz. I think I will be happy enough with this one to share it. I'd be interested to see what you did with it.

Perhaps in the near future you'd be interested in a collab, as I work on my station.

Kenshin, that station is really cool. I think several of my ships might need a brief layover... were you thinking animations or stills?

Thanks for the feedback Ice-Dragon, everyone. I guess I'm doing okay so far. I'll try to finish her up.
    Possibly both, if you're up for it to be honest :) I'm willing to try something new! Who knows, may learn something nice out of it.
    ...I think that will be possible, killakanz. I think I will be happy enough with this one to share it. I'd be interested to see what you did with it...

SheA’s a beauty! I believe it will be one of the best Novas all around.
    If you donA’t mind, I would like to have a copy when you finish her. ItA’s a long time since my last conversion (blender --> max) and IA’m a bit rusty, but I would like to try it again. ;)
    Starship wrote: »
    SheA’s a beauty! I believe it will be one of the best Novas all around.
    If you donA’t mind, I would like to have a copy when you finish her. ItA’s a long time since my last conversion (blender --> max) and IA’m a bit rusty, but I would like to try it again. ;)

Well, it's hard for me to not compare it to the one Biotech did. That one was spot on perfect. But I'm glad this one is going over well. Yeah, you can definitely have a copy too. The honor would be mine.
    Getting real close now. Just some work on the maneuvering thrusters, and some greebles in the sensor insets. As soon as I get a couple hours I can finish her up.

I wanted to show the work I had done on the textures, so I'm showing the same shot under both work lights and rendering conditions. I think I like how the textures turned out, in all. I used no maps, all that paneling is done by variations to the individual faces.

All the windows are actually cut into the hull on this model, which is a switch for me. But it's such a small ship, I didn't think I could get away with window shaped objects attached to the hull.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    WOW that looks Great:thumb:
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    looks nice here, very realistic.
    Getting very close to the finish I see :)

Perhaps add a touch a reflectivity on the textures and use the cloud procedural for the bussards? (Unless you plan to go about the plastic looking, transparent red-panel with inner workings ie: fans). Otherwise I'm loving the outcome! You've come a long way quite fast.
    SheA’s a beauty!
    For me, the rendering named nova31.jpg has the best setup. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    The third render looks nearly perfect as the scenes in the series :)
    Hi Polaris,

Your renders look very good indeed!

-Brian
  • Mycroft MaxwellMycroft Maxwell0 Posts: 0Member
    THis beauty is coming along nicely it appears. reading this threads makes me wanna take another whack at trying to build a mesh. I would still love to learn how to add textures. Everytime i try they end up distorted, stretched, or just plain don't fit.
    THis beauty is coming along nicely it appears. reading this threads makes me wanna take another whack at trying to build a mesh. I would still love to learn how to add textures. Everytime i try they end up distorted, stretched, or just plain don't fit.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Textures in Blender was something I really seemed to struggle with. Then one day it just sort of pops together, and you're like, "what was so hard about this?" I still don't really do it well, but I at least have an idea of the basics. And notice, I try to never use maps unless i really really have to? I found that much of what I needed was to figure out the different unwrapping strategies, and when to use which one. I also found the relationship between the uv window and the window with the texture layers really confusing. I still don't know that I really understand that. I found it useful to always be doing something I understood (maybe basic modeling I figured out) along with something I was trying to learn (maybe another mesh I was trying to texture.) That way I never felt boxed in to "having" to do only the hard new stuff, I could take a break and do some work on something more familiar. That also helped assure I didn't forget some of the stuff I had already learned.
    Well, I think she's about done, for now. What do you guys think?

Took over two months, but I think it was worth the time. Basic inaccuracies aside, I rather like this little girl.

At this scale, white windows didnA’t seem to work, so I gave them image textures. They are not anything you can make out or discern, I just wanted to give the impression of something behind the windows, interior space.

Blender users, I will be releasing this model for general use on this site in the next few days. I just have to make some additional registries for her.
    This wip ended with a very, very good mesh sir!
    *jaw drops*
    Wow...you my friend have a stunning mesh! Congratulations! Your hard work has paid off!
    If you are doing a next project (and have decided on it), I look forward to seeing it! Very nicely done!
    Looks very nice. What is the render times like?

Brian