Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dairfield

L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Finished Work #1
hi.
here's my new work.

a good old viper lands on a remote airfield, far away from the capital city.

this started as a grass exercice and turned up quite well.
there are 3 different grass blades, scatered on 2 different 2meter circles, with 4 different textures, turned into 2 different vray proxies (to save the memory)
then, i scatered the proxies on a terrain.
then i decided to make a viper land.
i think there are about 60 milions grassblades, and a few trees.

color correction and compositing in after effect.

hope you like it :)

tell me what you think ;)

edit: with or without grain?
79346.jpg
79347.jpg
Post edited by L2K on

• halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    It's sounds like you but a lot of effort into the grass, unfortunately its hard to tell as the whole image is blurred. I would personally only of blurred the viper and perhaps a sight bit of dof blur on the grass closest to the camera.

Still nice work. :thumb:
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I have to agree with hal, the image looks good except for the excessive blurring. It looks like you were going for the "everything moves so fast it's hard for the camera to keep up" look typical of the new BSG series, but it hides all the hard work you did. I'd lessen the blur on the whole image to give the viewer a good look at just how much went into creating it.

Another thing: Did the BSG Vipers have wheels or landing skids? I can't remember for sure, but I seem to recall that whenever the Vipers had to make a "hard landing" on the Galactica flight deck, there were always sparks trailing from the landing gear. That, and the fact that they had VTOL capability, implies that they may have had skids instead of wheels. Like I said, I'm not sure but it's worth checking into.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    way too much blur to tell.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, you need to decide where your focal plane is, and have things there be sharp and clear, with blur coming out away from it.

BSG-old had sort of hybrid landing gear, wheels inside of skids. I think the new ones just have skids.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    you are all right.
    i've been waaaaay too happy with the blur trigger.
    i had a 800*450version that worked just fine. but for some reason, the same focal settings and compositing didnt worked out so good in hd...
    i'll redo a new version when i'll have some time.

i know about bsg landing skids. i just hate them. even once you have landed, you have to move. how can viper do their taxiing with hard skids ? or move from their parking into their tubes?
    these are more fonctional landing gear.
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    It looks good.
    Remember that the Viper MKII DOES have wheels on the landing gear...
    At least, the prop does...
    :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    is it motion blur or a post production fx? anyway the huge blurring hides a lot of things.
    i'd play with brighter colors
  • todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    I like the concept, and I have to admit I'd been scratching my head trying to figure out how to depict vipers or raptors being taxied around the hangar without them scratching up the flight deck;)