Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Guard Leman Russ Batle Tank

Captain ShrikeCaptain Shrike0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hello!

This is my first 3d wip model i've been actually working and thought to bring here. It is a Leman Russ from Warhammer 40K.

The model as it stands (/trundles/whatever) has been made using a physical Games Workshop kit as the reference material, all measured with a typical 30cm ruler.

Note all you crits that depite using 3ds max for probably 9 months altogether, on and off, I am still very much an amateur. This will not be of the standard of other 40k models here (*cough* Binkerman's vehicles *cough* UK-Blade's Rhino *cough*), for now at least.

So, some renders I took yesterday have been put on a shiny new photobucket account, here's the link:
http://s822.photobucket.com/albums/zz150/The_Spartan_Fury/Leman%20Russ%20renders/

PS When I'm rendering, how do i make that lascannon barrel LOOK smooth? Are my simple skills correct when i say i could use a bump map? (something i've heard around, no idea what it is)
Post edited by Captain Shrike on

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Well it doesn't look half-bad so far. When it comes to the barrell, select the faces you want to be smooth and assign them to one smoothing group. Convert the model to editable poly and in the rollout go to the "polygon: smoothing groups". Then just click on a number. Just be sure not to assign the other polygons that are connected to the ones on the side of the cylinder to the same smoothing group or it will get ugly in the render.
  • Captain ShrikeCaptain Shrike0 Posts: 0Member
    i'll try that later. thanks.
    good thing i work with editable polys!
  • UK-BladeUK-Blade331 Posts: 0Member
    Good start Capt. :thumb:

If you're planning on using ZBrush or Mudbox to create some detailed normal maps, you might want to look at smoothing the whole model.
    As somacruz states if you smooth the whole model it will look ugly, but if you alter the whole mesh a little it'll keep its shape. I haven't used Max in a long time, so can't really give you any specific advise, but you need to with Maya.
    I'd done most of my Rhino before I started playing with ZBrush and discovering that it needs to be smoothed, so I'm going to have to redo a lot of the mesh :(, so find out now, before you get too far.
    Mind you I'm a complete noob with ZBrush, so I could be talking out of my ar*e, but its better to check first. ;).

Keep up the good work, i'll be watching ;)
    i admit that i was planning on going near enough all the way with 3ds max. i've just had a mad moment and wondered whether i could use the textures for the dawn of war leman russ tanks? i have the tools to extract the textures, so i'll try sometime.
    i bet you'll be watching! if fact i may be close to doing a few more renders!
    Ok, i've done some more work. the tracks have a lot more detail, and i've played around with some shadow settings. any suggestions on changing the settings will be good. follow the link in the first thread to see all the renders so far.
    Yes, it's time for the daily update!

After a lot of shouting, cursing and in particular birdie flipping (actually scratch that last...), i have got a muzzle for the Battle Cannon that I'm happy with. More details have been made around the turret (ie vision port and side-box).
    I think I've done very well so far. Despite having to change the computer i'm using, and repeated crashes everywhere (especially around the time of the muzzle), I have made a lot of progress. It is a shame that i'll have to slow down on the building this coming week. The main reason for the swiftness of the project is that i have been working on it between revision periods. But that is all to change, as I'm doing my mock AS exams this week, so there won't be as many updates. But when i can, the model will see progress.

Any crit or suggestions are still welcome, as always. It is quicker and easier to read what ppl have to say than try to work on a 3d model
    Blimey, it's really been over a month since my last update? well, i'm back again. No new renders just yet, but a question: i'm stuck with the tracks. i've followed a few tutorials on the net, i have links, but when i do a pathdeform (wsm) i get links deformed around the angles. i tried fixing this with a fillet, but it appears to do more harm than good. can anyone help? i'll post new renders soon, honest! (maybe when the tracks are fixed...)
    Not good: it's finally dawned on me how much of a problem one little feature on the track pods is. People may have notice the gap currently reserved for suspension. when i first did this i noticed the size i'd given myself only allowed for one coil, when there are supposed to be two. Being who I am, I insisted to have it rectified. The only way I could do this is a complete restart. I'd salvaged as much as possible, deleted what was left. Due to this setback, it may be that my next collection of renders may be a little while away, depends on how long it takes to get the track pods back up to a decent level. I've also decided to redo the tracks at the same time (thank you TonTon for all the help so far) to fit the new tracks better.
    so in the space i've had in the past two weeks, the new track pods have been re-built, with a lot of detail. The bits which presumably hold the wheels in place are finished on one side, the suspension has been installed. a bit more detail, and those bits on the other side, and i believe the pods will be fixed and ready for some fresh tracks. again the link to the album is in the first link, so have a look.
    also, please don't turn this into an update monologue! put any comments, critique and question you may have up here!
    Nearly a month of no work... again. I've had minimal time to work on this, but there is a new render available. The new track pods are near enough finished, with tracks that fit.
    A few days ago, I received a Games Workshop email newsletter. It said there was a new 40K expansion being released called Spearhead. It will be free as it'll be online and in June's White Dwarf, it involves armies of tanks, and new models will be released. For the Imperial Guard, we are looking at a new Leman Russ model, mirroring the Demolisher/Punisher/Executioner box released in August last year, and "the last word in artillery", the Manticore and Deathstrike missile tanks. For the Eldar, a new version of the Fire Prism and Support Platform.
    Regarding the Russ, I may get the box and use it as reference for different parts in this model. Especially as it allows for the construction of the Eradicator, Exterminator and Vanquisher variants as well as the normal Russ.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like you have a solid basis to work from. You just need to start adding the finer details. Might I make a few suggestions though?

First, get rid of the technicolour paint scheme and just go with a single flat colour for your WIP renders. What you have at present is highly distracting.

Second, you should absolutely post images in the thread itself rather than having a single link in the first post. Photobucket allows hotlinkable thumbnails and images - take advantage of it. If you make people work to see an image, most aren't going to bother and you will lose out on potential feedback. When you make a new post, put an image in that post. Even if you haven't done any new modelling work, at least do a new render. Give people a reason to keep checking out your thread.

Third, image size - make 'em big! Some of us are running at a high screen res and/or are old and half-blind. Render out images at least 1500x1500 so we don't have to squint.
    thanks for the suggestions.
    1: i'll sort that
    2: no idea how. maybe a pm instructing me?
    3: i'll look into that.
    I am still pretty new to WIP posting, and especially photobucket. The colours were the random ones assigned by MAX. they would have been hidden away when i get around to texturing. (Thinking about it, that might still be a way away, so i'll do a colour fix for now.)
    The finer details are what i'm working on now. Mainly rivets, easy to do, but there are many on the tank!
    Right, image size has been bumped up, model is now monochrome, and i've got the result as my wallpaper on this computer. I think I'll stick with this format from now on.
    th_LemanRussRenderWallpaper.jpg