Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSalsa flavored WIP thread(II)

salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Apparently my old thread was lost to the abyss of cyberspace when the site had a face lift. Thus in the spirit of renewing, I decided to start a new one. I am currently taken an Art class so if anything I put here is for it I will say so along with the due date. Anywho, this is for an art class and it is for one of four images I am working on. Due date is 2-18-2010.

The idea is to build the frame, add some interior details, skin some of it, then pick the frame apart. I am planning on using it in a waterscape so any ideas or feed back on the models is greatly appreciated.
85070.jpg
Post edited by salsa on
Tagged:

• salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Ok, got something a little more interesting than a cigar shaped framework this time.
    With hull
    derilect_02112010_003.png

With out hull
    derilect_02112010_002png.png

All comments and criticisms are appreciated.
    78569.png78570.png
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    What's it supposed to be, exactly?
    a cargo ship of some sort (not really important). I've got it hacked up and a texture on the frame and I need to start on the panels.
    Still slogging through this semester. Only a month left. (wheeeeee!) Anyway, I'm working on an art project and what I have in mind requires a fairly detailed model. I just want some feed back on how to make this more interesting. I'm drawing blanks on the area around the engines and the side of the ventral fin.

Comments and critiques most welcome and appreciated!
    80219.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Well if those are engines then you may need some stuff to cool them, maybe intake air for the process and also to give them fuel (some pipes would look good but it's better if you save those for the cooling systems just like "we" do in our space shuttles). Looking forward to seeing more :thumb:
    Added radiators to the engines (thanks for the suggestion somacruz) and some detail to the under side (nothing too interesting yet). That thing between the engines is not a bridge, its the control room to guide docking shuttles and the helmsman when berthing at a shipyard. Anyway, what do you guys think? I am still open for suggestions on the area around the engines on the hull.
    80251.jpg
    Figured out how to link the engines together using blender's constraints and an empty. Just though I'd let you guys know I'm not dead and find out if I got the timing ok on this. (the engines no the post)
    Engine and ramp test.
    Some sort of military transport/dropship, is it? Those 'radiators' really don't make much sense to me... I mean, radiators don't belong in the way of the direction of thrust! What kind of engines are they supposed to be, liquid-fuel rockets? Jet engines? Ion engines?
    Aardwolf wrote: »
    Some sort of military transport/dropship, is it? Those 'radiators' really don't make much sense to me... I mean, radiators don't belong in the way of the direction of thrust! What kind of engines are they supposed to be, liquid-fuel rockets? Jet engines? Ion engines?

Uh, if you're talking about the shuttle, those aren't radiators, those are the exhaust nozzles, like on the Harrier, or the YAK-38 (I believe that's right). As for the engines, I really didn't think about it. It's supposed to be a one-shot dropshuttle. Launch from an assault ship, enter an atmosphere and "land," so I guess something like an advanced LOX rocket or something of that nature should work. There's no landing gear, so it needs either a flat patch of ground or something soft. I trimmed the wings since making the animation, so it makes more since to have four engines arranged like that. I'll post a pic later, when I'm not in class :P.
    Comparison of the wings. I think i'm gonna try for something less sleek and more box like.
    80896.png80897.jpg
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    This looks really cool.
    jedi44 wrote: »
    This looks really cool.
    Thanks

I redid the nose, added a space for the cockpit, and adjusted the cargo bay. Now I gotta A) write a paper for pone of my classes, B) get references for the bay and the cockpit.
    80940.jpg80941.png
    Would really like this as a LAAT/i replacement for my clone special ops regiment.Love the design.
    Do you reckon it could hold a platoon of troopers?Thanks for your posts.
    jedi44 wrote: »
    Would really like this as a LAAT/i replacement for my clone special ops regiment.Love the design.
    Do you reckon it could hold a platoon of troopers?Thanks for your posts.

I'm not sure if this is going to fit in with the design philosophy of SW, this is a drop shuttle meant for initial troop deployment onto a planet. Since this is for my universe it has no shields (none of my ships do) and just enough delta v for de-orbit and a relatively slow belly landing (this thing probably has a stall speed in the mid 100 mile per hour range with out the rotating engine nozzles). That said, if you would like, I'll send you a copy of the mesh once I've at least completed the modeling. as for carriage, it probably holds between 30 to 60 troops, I haven't worked that out yet.

sorry that was kinda long. The short version: yes, it can, yes you may use it once I've finished it, and I guess it could work as LAAT/i replacement. Thanks for the comments, keep 'em coming, please.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes,I would be grateful for any thing you make,thanks alot.
    Mainly because I lose interest in what I was working on.

On the plus side blender 2.53 (the Beta) is out and I love it. I managed to figure out how to do UV map the complex curve stuff and how to make said stuff. See the pics for the fruits of my endeavors. Down side is it's too blue and I know have to figure out curves in gimp. XP

attachment.php?attachmentid=83827&stc=1&d=1280533941
    attachment.php?attachmentid=83828&stc=1&d=1280533941

This is one of two I'm working on. The other is for greeble practice, which I need.
    83328.png83329.png
    Added the turret and the engine fairings.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=83841&stc=1&d=1280594427

Also, does anyone know of a good way to to make a vector image out of UV texture map? My skills with a tablet aren't good enough to get a way with just drawing it.
    83341.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    salsa wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know of a good way to to make a vector image out of UV texture map? My skills with a tablet aren't good enough to get a way with just drawing it.

Open the UV bitmap in Inkscape, and either manually trace or use Path -> Trace Bitmap...
    Thanks. Hope that cleans up the lines.
    consistency has no meaning to when I post my stuff here. Any way. I figured I'd show off the little modeling skill I have, even if I am an atom among universes (seriously, I'm probably the worst person on the site). Anyway. Here's a pic that I've been working on. I'll post some clearer shots later, after I render them.
    plasma_lance_razorback.jpg
    84908.jpg
    Clear_Razorback_10_01_2010.jpg
    Clear_Razorback_10_01_2010_02.jpg
    Okay, the engines are crap, they will be replaced. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do for the parts not covered in the plating (which needs to be textured), but I have an idea for the upper part. Any suggestions or critiques?
    84909.jpg84910.jpg
    It could turn out good, but (as you seem to be aware) it could use a lot of work.

Although perhaps the 'mast' could use a bit of an overhaul?
    Aardwolf wrote: »
    It could turn out good, but (as you seem to be aware) it could use a lot of work.

Although perhaps the 'mast' could use a bit of an overhaul?

What do you mean by the "mast?" The upper fin (has no function, yet)? Any suggestions on what to do, seeing as I haven't a clue.
    fixed some issues with the meshes, added a turret to protect the entrance to the shuttle bay and redid the engines.Clear_Razorback_10_05_2010_01.jpg
    84979.jpg
    Sensors and rail guns.Clear_Razorback_10_06_2010_02.jpg

Starting to experiment with blender's voxel stuff to make a 3d nebula, will hopefully have something worth showing.
    85004.jpg
    Well, I was able to get a student license for 3DS Max 2011, and I have to say, as powerful as I know this program can be, it's a pain to learn how to navigate in. Took me an hour to get this:
    HWish_fighter_10_-7_2010.png
    Blender may be looked down upon, but I have to tell ya, it is a lot easier to use.
    85024.png
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Oi, don't go bashing my 3ds!
    ...although, you're talking about 2011. Ramble on :D
    Melak wrote: »
    Oi, don't go bashing my 3ds!
    ...although, you're talking about 2011. Ramble on :D
    It is 2011. It's not really bashing, I just find Blender more user friendly, especially when it comes to modelling, then again, I know the hotkeys I need there, but not in Max.
    HWish_warship_10_08_2010_001.jpg
    I have to wonder if I've been a bit obsessed with Homeworld lately.

nah.

So, I'm just blocking in right now, trying to get the feel of Max. I think I'm getting better.
    85049.jpg