Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKlingon "Warbird" from STXI

madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
edited August 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hey, everybody...

I've been working on this for a week now, and thought I would put it up. Modeling is probably 90% done, and I'm about to start texturing...

Here's my reference image. I'm sure a few of you have the book this came out of...

kling5UP.jpg

I tried to take parts I liked off of each version, so mine won't be "screen accurate"... the one from the movie seems to be just the old style K'Tinga, with some stuff stuck to it.

Here goes...

STXI_KBC_WIP_022.jpg

STXI_KBC_WIP_023.jpg

STXI_KBC_WIP_025.jpg

STXI_KBC_WIP_024.jpg

What do ya'll think?
77578.jpg
Post edited by madman1701a on
Tagged:

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow now that was a quick wip :D Looks great anyway :thumb: I only have mixed feelings about the wider head and triangular plating.
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    That came out really nice!
    Now put 50 of them up against your Narada in a huge render :)
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Dammed cool ship! The general shape turnned out better than the Enterprise. At least for my taste.
    *** IsnA’t my intention to start a flame war about this, and I hope you all donA’t do it too. ;)
    Your mesh is turnning out very good!
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty cool, dude. :)

Where is this design from, The Art of Star Trek book? The ref images, one looks like a toy, and the other a render.

deg
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    deg3D wrote: »
    Pretty cool, dude. :)

Where is this design from, The Art of Star Trek book? The ref images, one looks like a toy, and the other a render.

deg
    Yeah, it's from the art book. The top image is Ryan Church's concept art, and the bottom is the actual ship from the movie. It almost seems like ILM knew that we wouldn't see much of it, so they just stuck a few of the more prominent features on an old K'Tinga model they had. Still looks good in the movie, though. :)
    Thanks guys. :) I really want to get back into animating things, I just have to get all my stuff built that I want to work with. :) I'll definitely get these guys going after the Narada, when it's done. :)
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work!
    Can't wait til you blow 47 of them up :D

And might I say I'm glad it turned out different from Ryan's sketch in the movie? I mean I can spot nice features, but also some major fugliness :p
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Considering that you never get a good look at the Klingon ships during the Kobayashi Maru segment in the new movie, I'd have to say this looks pretty good. I like how the layering of the rounded area under the triangular "cobra head" kind of mimics the helmets the Klingons wore in the film; or, rather, would have if the Rura Penthe scenes hadn't been cut.

The book "Star Trek: The Art of the Film" is a great companion piece to the movie. Even if you didn't like the movie I highly recommend buying the book. It has a wealth of information and images that really bring the filmmaking process to life.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice design and a very nice model - IA’d just add a few more polys to the bridge - I can see polyedges in the curvature...
    Thanks guys. :)
    Very nice design and a very nice model - IA’d just add a few more polys to the bridge - I can see polyedges in the curvature...
    Thanks, Tobias!

Do you mean the triangular head part? The front of it needs to be smoothed out some, I know.
    OK, I think this is done, for now.

STXI_KlingonWarbird_FR_001.jpg

STXI_KlingonWarbird_FR_002.jpg

STXI_KlingonWarbird_FR_003.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with some of the textures, but I think they'll work. I can't texture round things worth anything. :)

Now I'm off to render a good one with it fighting my Enterprise. :)
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Looks good, but from what i read on doug Drexler's blog, the D4 concept ship Rob Bonchune made for enterprise was the STXI klingon "warbird"...

BTW, are you considering making the other federation fleet ships once this is done? Apparently high quality images of all the fleet ships + kobayashi are on the BD rom of XI. Toby Ricter made some orthos of them which are floating around shipschematics.net if you wanna take a peek.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Excellent!
    Will be watching for the E vs Klingon pic!
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Hi Madman,

Great looking model. I would like to know what kind of light setup you are using in Blender. I use the same program.
    Can't wait to see the big battle.

-Brian
    Thanks. :)

I was using this image as my reference:

kling5UP.jpg

That's a scan from my Art of Trek book. on the opposite page, they had the sketch of the D4 there, as well as the "Bird of Prey" from Enterprise. I wasn't sure what the reasoning was behind including those images, except that they looked cool. Do you have a link to the blog?
    BrianSzep wrote: »
    Hi Madman,

Great looking model. I would like to know what kind of light setup you are using in Blender. I use the same program.
    Can't wait to see the big battle.

-Brian

It's pretty simple, actually... in these renders, I have one "Sun" lamp, at an intensity of 1.1. I have a blue bounceback light which is another "Sun" lamp, at about .3, coming up from the bottom, and at the very bottom, I have a Hemi light facing upwards at an intensity of about .2 .

Here's a quick fight scene I did in about half an hour last night... The battle damage isn't great, but I thought it was fun anyway. :)

Ambush_1440.jpg
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Wow, she's a real beauty!!!!
    Cant wait to see her after the paint had dried :)
  • trekkitrekki951 Posts: 1,403Member
    A great work, more Pics please.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    MadMan, I'm pretty sure that the "D4" and the BOP were actually inspired by, not ripped from Enterprise. After all, the Enterprise Bird-of-Prey didn't have 8-10 disruptor cannons. ;)

That is really good work, considering how few images there are of this Klingon ship. :D
  • nova1701dmsnova1701dms331 Posts: 0Member
    Great looking picture Madman!!
    MadMan, I'm pretty sure that the "D4" and the BOP were actually inspired by, not ripped from Enterprise. After all, the Enterprise Bird-of-Prey didn't have 8-10 disruptor cannons. ;)

That is really good work, considering how few images there are of this Klingon ship. :D

Thanks. :)

I'll have to scan the image I am talking about, but the sketches were definitely ones from the D4 that was built for Enterprise, but never shown, and the little Bird of Prey that we did see. I guess they put them in there for filler...
    OK, found the images I was looking for...

Here's John Eaves' concept for the D4:
    klingon-retroo22.jpg

And his concept for the Klingon Bird of Prey:
    retro-bird-of-prey-reject.jpg

And the page in the book I was talking about...
    Sketches1.jpg

I'm still not sure why those two designs made it into the book, when they were done up back in 2001!

:)
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Not only is that a cool image, but it's my favorite image so far of the new Enterprise. Now if you could just destroy it a little more.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    I think John said he submitted those sketches for Trek XI since they were along the lines of what was required anyway, but they weren't chosen.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Splendorous Kligon ship Ricky!
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Well, John Eaves probably went back to these when he was working on stuff for the new movie.
    Starship wrote: »
    Splendorous Kligon ship Ricky!

Thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Lovely work.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Your take on the new movie ship is really great. I actually like the super-armed Bird of Prey. But rather than looking retro--it looks more like a Klingon Defiant killer.