Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkira Variant (Alex Jeager/John Eaves)

fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Well its a been a while since i have posted any thing..... haven't been much for working on my own project so i thought i would work on another ST ship :P

As far as i know no one has attempted this ship and i rather like this one so here is my whack at it :D

Original Drawing
ajc-7.jpg

My start.... as it sits so far....
AV_1_0_0_0_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
AV_1_0_0_1_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
AV_1_0_0_2_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
AV_1_0_0_3_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
AV_1_0_0_4_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

Still debating on the phaser disks and weather or not to put the nacells up top like they are in the image..... thoughts?
77570.jpg
Post edited by fluxfire on
Tagged:

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Interesting design, love the work. On the issue of the nacelles, I think I'd either go for Prometheus style nacelles and leave them on top (they have a more trapezoidal/hexagonal structure to match the hull frame) or have them parallel to the phaser disks and under the hull.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    fluxfire wrote: »
    Still debating on the phaser disks and weather or not to put the nacells up top like they are in the image..... thoughts?

the design does seem rather busy on the top, maybe putting them back underneath like the original Akira would be a good idea. at least to feel it out anyway.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Interesting design, but those small saucers are strange... Usually, I donA’t talk about technobable, but I canA’t resist in this case. Any ideia about the function of the small saucers?
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    interesting design...
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    I love Alex Jeager's work, but I'm not a fan of this design. The only good angle is the front, really, but your model's looking good nonetheless. I agree it'd probably be a big improvement to have the nacelles underslung rather than how they were drawn, but you may as well try it both ways.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    The model is looking great but I gotta agree about the nacelles. I would like to see them in that setup :

sfm.jpg

Of course it's just a suggestion, I don't know if it will look good in 3D :D
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Jeager's retarded. This is the FUGLIEST design EVER. They should have left Eaves alone to his usual genius, & left the "discs" to the usual Nebula or Oberth varient. This? This is just...there aren't words.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    LOL I've never seen Hellsgate snap before :D

I thing the discs were intended to provide good phaser coverage with less phasers, but the effectiveness is debatable.

I agree about the nacelles, having them underslung would help the profile & balance a lot.

Nice work so far :)
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Interesting design, love the work. On the issue of the nacelles, I think I'd either go for Prometheus style nacelles and leave them on top (they have a more trapezoidal/hexagonal structure to match the hull frame) or have them parallel to the phaser disks and under the hull.

Thanks... If i did leave them up top i was considering having them stick out side ways.... maybe.
    anystar wrote: »
    the design does seem rather busy on the top, maybe putting them back underneath like the original Akira would be a good idea. at least to feel it out anyway.

Yeah it does have a lot going on up there, never hurts to play around with the designs :D
    Starship wrote: »
    Interesting design, but those small saucers are strange... Usually, I donA’t talk about technobable, but I canA’t resist in this case. Any ideia about the function of the small saucers?

From what i gather the disks are supposed to be phaser placements.... as to weather or not they are a good idea meh :P
    Aresius wrote: »
    interesting design...

Thanks i thought so too.
    Pearse wrote: »
    I love Alex Jeager's work, but I'm not a fan of this design. The only good angle is the front, really, but your model's looking good nonetheless. I agree it'd probably be a big improvement to have the nacelles underslung rather than how they were drawn, but you may as well try it both ways.

Thanks, yeah this is one of those designs that ppl either like or the hate.
    The model is looking great but I gotta agree about the nacelles. I would like to see them in that setup :

sfm.jpg

Of course it's just a suggestion, I don't know if it will look good in 3D :D

Interesting you have they set on there side in that image hadn't considered that might give it a go.
    Hellsgate wrote: »
    Jeager's retarded. This is the FUGLIEST design EVER. They should have left Eaves alone to his usual genius, & left the "discs" to the usual Nebula or Oberth varient. This? This is just...there aren't words.

Hahahhahaha hate this design that much ehh hehehehe.....
    Melak wrote: »
    LOL I've never seen Hellsgate snap before :D

I thing the discs were intended to provide good phaser coverage with less phasers, but the effectiveness is debatable.

I agree about the nacelles, having them underslung would help the profile & balance a lot.

Nice work so far :)

Thanks melak, yeah i think the general thought is underneath :devil:
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Now thats and interesting design, and your off to a great start with it, look forward to seeing more:thumb:

Er, the guy came up with some of the best Trek ship designs ever. Judge him on his best work, not on his worst.
    Ice-Dragon wrote: »
    Now thats and interesting design, and your off to a great start with it, look forward to seeing more:thumb:

As requested some more shots with the nacells in different positions to see which ppl think is better...

Tops first

AV_1_0_0_5_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_0_7_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

Down version

AV_1_0_0_6_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_0_8_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

And for kicks a quad version :P

AV_1_0_0_9_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_1_0_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

Thoughts on this?
    The lower version makes it look a bit like the Sabre-class.
    The upper version has them a bit too far away and too close together, it more reminds me to this Jem'Hadar battlecruiser superstructure.
    The quad version actually looks pretty good and has about the right balance, but I agree it resembles a Jem'Hadar ship in that configuration as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Flux,

I like the design with the lower warp engines, for those that think it looks too much like the Saber class, here's an idea of upper warp engines that don't look like a Jem'Hadar ship.
    The lower version makes it look a bit like the Sabre-class.
    The upper version has them a bit too far away and too close together, it more reminds me to this Jem'Hadar battlecruiser superstructure.

Heh never really saw it as a Jem'Hadar BS before but yeah i can see the resembelance here.
    Pearse wrote: »
    The quad version actually looks pretty good and has about the right balance, but I agree it resembles a Jem'Hadar ship in that configuration as well.

Yeah i rather like the quad look my self not too many of them in trek but for this ship it think it is a bit too much ..... at least with this nacell design.
    Flux,

I like the design with the lower warp engines, for those that think it looks too much like the Saber class, here's an idea of upper warp engines that don't look like a Jem'Hadar ship.

I had actually considered having them on top and off to the side like that.

The only concern for me now is the design of the nacells i am not too sure on these and i don't like the akira's nacell design. If any one has any ideas on different styles i am more then open to remaking these.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    the quad-design brings back a lot of the fierceness the original akira design had, i like it!
  • whitestarwhitestar0 Posts: 0Member
    I love the work, im a bigger fan of the bottom nacelles myself. Love the disk on it, what will the bottom look like? Great job btw
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member

Feh.

Some (most) of your fanfic ideas are some of the fugliest nonsense I've ever read. You're hardly one to criticise Jaeger's work - especially when most of your creative input right here in this forum boils down to "add more guns" or "needs a captain's yacht and interior views!" :rolleyes:

Having said that, I do agree it's not Jaeger's best work... I particularly am not a big fan of these nacelles: What's with the extra red glowy nonsense aft? Bit redundant IMO, and to be honest TNG-onwards the ships all got a bit rainbow-coloured for my liking anyway.

Regarding the "phaser discs" (or whatever they are), I'm undecided as yet. I keep getting the feeling they belong on something from circa C27th-29th... :confused:
    @Scream: Don't forget about his constant over-geeked talk about some complete and utter lunacity...

@topic: I do have to say that this ship would work best with the nacelles below, the nacelles up just doesn't look good or reasonable.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Aresius
    Oh believe me, I'd never forget... I was merely trying to tone down my response - you shoulda seen what I'd originally meant to put!

Not that it matters: I can't recall HG ever responding to a direct comment put to him in the forums; I think he ignores any text and simply absorbs the pretty pictures. :D

I am not exactly a fan of either of those nacell types.... but thanks for the suggestions
    anystar wrote: »
    the quad-design brings back a lot of the fierceness the original akira design had, i like it!

Hehehehehe..... i may yet decide to do the quad design not sure though....
    whitestar wrote: »
    I love the work, im a bigger fan of the bottom nacelles myself. Love the disk on it, what will the bottom look like? Great job btw

Thanks... what do you mean what will the bottom look like? other then the typical ablative armor and shield grids i can't really see my self doing any thing out of the ordinary to it?
    Starscream wrote: »
    Regarding the "phaser discs" (or whatever they are), I'm undecided as yet. I keep getting the feeling they belong on something from circa C27th-29th... :confused:

Hum... i would think they are something of an experimental design idea similar to the ship.... as for the yr meh i could see them being standard at that point if they were successfully tested in this period.

Right i have been putzing round with this model and haven't really made up my mind as to what i want to do with her as of yet... but i have gotten some more of the base details done on the upper half and done a bit of redesign of some of the hull sections.

AV_1_0_1_1_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_1_2_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

Here i am showing there is a gap for the upper bar and the main hull section.

AV_1_0_1_3_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

Rework of the..... well not really sure what that is supposed to be...

AV_1_0_1_4_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    Did some playing round with the nacells today and i just can't get over the look of the nacells downwards they just don't fit this design so i have gone with the upper look but i have moved them a bit down and out ward.

AV_1_0_1_5_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_1_6_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_1_7_by_StepTrollthe.jpg
    AV_1_0_1_8_by_StepTrollthe.jpg

Thoughts on this one?
    I agree that this way, the nacelles look a bit better, but still, I liked it more downwards.
    Well, I guess because that way (downwards) it looks more like some known design offspring (Saber-class).
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Well this design seems like it won't go really well with any kind of nacelles but it looks pretty nice so far :thumb:
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    The last rendering sells her, but the quad version is... weird. ;)
  • whitestarwhitestar0 Posts: 0Member
    still dont like the engines on the top but ehhh, whatever works right. Keep up the good work.
    I agree that this way, the nacelles look a bit better, but still, I liked it more downwards.
    Well, I guess because that way (downwards) it looks more like some known design offspring (Saber-class).

I suppose i can see that.... though i have always thought of this as the akira's big brother :D
    Well this design seems like it won't go really well with any kind of nacelles but it looks pretty nice so far :thumb:

Thanks :D i had trouble coming up with a new nacell design as well thats more or less why i went with the originals
    Starship wrote: »
    The last rendering sells her, but the quad version is... weird. ;)

Hahahah yeah the quad version does make her look a bit funky... glad you liked the last render.
    whitestar wrote: »
    still dont like the engines on the top but ehhh, whatever works right. Keep up the good work.

Hehehehe yeah i think they fit best up there.... thanks.

Since i have the base work pritty much done i will be starting on the details after the weekend.
  • trickytricky0 Posts: 0Member
    my 2 pennies on the nacelles, keep them on the top but rotate them 90 degrees, so the thicker side is parallel with the hull. would give the appearance of those side pods and the engines following the same arc over the main body.