Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3ds max - big AO render, problem

Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
A friend of mine asked me to render some pics of a ship, specifically A3 format, 300 dpi. i've done the base render without problem, but when i tryed to render the AO pass, i had an error (don't know what kind) and max crashes. I've tryed again, and same problem occured.
Maybe some of you had a similar problem, so i'm asking for help!
thanks in advanced!!!
Post edited by Davide_sd on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I haven't had a problem like that before, maybe if you can tell us these things we can help:
    What kind of AO render? skylight + FG? AO material?
    How high is the poly count? How is the memory usage during the render?

Have you tried rendering at a lower resolution just to see if that works?
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    Melak wrote: »
    I haven't had a problem like that before, maybe if you can tell us these things we can help:
    What kind of AO render? skylight + FG? AO material?
    How high is the poly count? How is the memory usage during the render?

Have you tried rendering at a lower resolution just to see if that works?

i'm using AO material, the mesh has about 1.5million polys, memory usage during rendering: about 1.3gb of ram.
    i've render several pics at 3840 x 2160 pixel in the past without any problems. But now i'm rendering at 4960 x 3507 pixels.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    hm..so you're not running out of memory.

Are you using max 2009? if so, try using "Region Render" to render only part of the image at once..like, one half, then the other.
    Melak wrote: »
    if so, try using "Region Render" to render only part of the image at once..like, one half, then the other.

it works! i've saved the output renders in tiff format with alpha channel. now i need to composite the original pic, but when i drag one render into the new big document, the alpha channel wasn't copyed. how can i solved this?
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    select>load selection>alpha channel.
    and then, copy paste

;)
    great, thank you! :)