Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Say, how do I...

InfinitySquaredInfinitySquared171 Posts: 0Member
...create an object on another object's surface in 3DS Max 9? It'll speed up my hull paneling.
Post edited by InfinitySquared on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Unfortunately it's not quite that easy.

You can copy your object, use the cut tool to cut out the panel shape you want, delete the rest, and extrude that piece.

I made this tutorial a while ago that might help you, if you can put up with my accent :shiner:

3ds Perfect Paneling on Vimeo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Melak wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not quite that easy.

You can copy your object, use the cut tool to cut out the panel shape you want, delete the rest, and extrude that piece.

I made this tutorial a while ago that might help you, if you can put up with my accent :shiner:

3ds Perfect Paneling on Vimeo

thanks i know i didnt ask for it but stil glad iv found it
  • EnterpraisEnterprais197 Posts: 124Member
    InfinitySquared, may be the greeble - is what are you searching for?
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    When you go to create an object, click the object you want to create from the menu (box, sphere, etc) and check Autogrid on just above the object names. You will be able to draw your object on the face normal of another object.
  • brain_damagebrain_damage0 Posts: 0Member
    As japetus said autogrid is an option. In that way you will create an object on to the normal of any face of any object. The problem with this is that the new object will be positioned according to the normal of that given face and it might get difficult to edit later on. What you can do is create the object you want, edit it and then use "normal align". In that way you can align two objects according to two faces you select, similar to an autogrid. The normal align icon is in the align rollout.