Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalHardware Lightsaber #1

Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
edited August 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I made a series of these for Christmas, as gifts for various Jedi in my life. This is one of my favorites. It's made from a bunch of left over hardware I just had lying around.

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

2c.jpg

2d.jpg

2e.jpg

2f.jpg
Post edited by Polaris 004 on
Tagged:

• Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    I'm a Jedi too, you know. I love lightsabers
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Very nicely done.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice Polaris 004. Kind of a Windu-esque sort of look to it. These just for display and/or costuming, or do you make ones capable of taking a blade?
  • sneezydinosaursneezydinosaur0 Posts: 0Member
    Awsome

Was there any design to iit or did you just put it together one day because you were bored?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Very cool man, it looks great
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    DCB wrote: »
    Nice Polaris 004. Kind of a Windu-esque sort of look to it. These just for display and/or costuming, or do you make ones capable of taking a blade?

I was sorta thinking of Windu's hilt, as it's probably my favorite. Of course making it mostly gold accounts for much of the resemblance, but I also tried to match it's shape as best i could with the hardware I had.

Some of my hilts could be modified to take a basic doll-rod hilt. This one could, but I might have to take out the black thingy set inside the emitter. The main tube of the hilt is a 3/4 inch ceiling fan electrical extension pipe, so there's not much room for electronics, if ever I was interested in one of those fancy light-up blades you can buy on the internet. Personally, I'm old school and prefer to just pose in front of a mirror making "vvvvvummmm vvvvvvummmm" sounds with my mouth.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Awsome

Was there any design to iit or did you just put it together one day because you were bored?

I made eight or nine of these hardware sabers, no two of them very much like any other. I got some ideas off the internet, and did make some plans, of a sort. But most of my success came from gathering my materials together and test fitting everything with everything else. I mixed and matched and fastened and screwed and unscrewed until in a series of "ah ha" moments the hilts took shape one after the other. This was over the course of weeks. My favorite thing about this hilt is the back collar thing the fits around the gold button. That was part of a very old microphone stand, and it looked so good when I slid it on it made me wish I could buy a dozen of them. But of course I can't buy any more like that,because it's a piece of hardware from, like 1969 or something. Too bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
    i really like this one.. does it has glowing blade with it.. where did u get this one..
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Polaris,

I loved it! I made a few out of PVC this last Christmas for my kids. They have some dowel rods they shove into them when they wanna use them for dueling. Otherwise, they hook them to their belts and have a blast pretending. Do you have photos of the other ones you created? I'd love to see them and possibly glean some ideas from yours!

CMills
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work.
  • Odyssey SlipwaysOdyssey Slipways0 Posts: 0Member
    Captian_Mills, any chance of seeing the ones you made? i like the idea of using dowl rods for the blade