Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

micro paneling-procedural vs painted?

japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
I'm new around here, so this has probably been asked, but Micro paneling, I guess I will go with that term. Basically I am wondering how people usually end up going about doing the tiny panels that make up large ships like the Enterprise-B. I am looking for an alternative to a hand painted texture map to save my sanity and was wondering if people tend to go with the procedural panel look? For example how would you go about duplicating the paneling on this saucer section? I have a basicblack/white aztec pattern laid out like so and can go from there. Thanks in advance!
Post edited by japetus on

• lukanoskilukanoski0 Posts: 0Member
    you could do it with a bump map but it won't give you a lot of detail on the closeups, or make a displacement map, but it depends on what 3d app you're using. i'll try to find some tutorials!
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Thanks lukanoski! I'm using 3DSMax and mental ray
  • lukanoskilukanoski0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi. here's a video to help you understand bump and displacement maps YouTube - Bump And Displacement Map: Overview
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Thanks luka, I know all about those concepts. I guess I was mostly just wondering about people's personal process when it comes to panels like that. I'm wondering if people spend the time drawing panels in photoshop or tend to use a procedural approach. Maybe it's just an unknowable unknowable :)