Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Max9 to 2010

anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
i currently have (and am just learning) Max9, but i was recently given some tutorial dvd's. except these dvd's are for Max 2010. i'm downloading a trial version now so i can follow along the lessons easier.

but my question is this, is it worth the expense to upgrade to the full version?

anyone had any experience with both?
Post edited by anystar on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Max 2010 does have a couple new poly editing tools which can speed doing certain things up, however to know when to use them you still need the same basic knowledge.
    Personally, I don't even like the new tools in 2010 :p

There's really no harm in learning Max 9, learning a 3D package takes time.

Max 2011 is due in April, so I wouldn't hurry to upgrade to 2010, which is still riddled with bugs and annoyances they haven't fixed, and probably wont.

Of course if you can get an edu license it's wayy cheaper so you could upgrade anytime you want, but personally I would wait for Max 2011.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    good reasoning, thx much.

either way i'll get a month to play around with it free though! :cool:
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    i decided to "testdrive" acad 2010 while i'm also trying out max2010, so i spent the day trying to figure it out:mad: i cant stand the new UI, it took me 2 hours just to figure out how to turn it off and import my custom toolbars from acad '08. once i was able to do that my overall opinion of the newer version improved slightly, but overall i think that if this is the direction they are going with it: '08 might just be the last version i ever buy....

aside from the craptacular new UI the only improvements i have been able to percieve are the new mesh editing and modeling tools on the 3d side. there are a few usefull new integrations on the 2d design side, but nothing worth upgrading for.

i will admit, the modeling aspect of '08 DID need a lot of work, but completely basing the new version around that was a complete mistake in my opinion!

argh, oh well. <end rant> :lol:
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Hehe it's not a nice thing to see the developers of your favorite app take it in a direction you dont like at all :(