Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTX-130S Fighter Tank

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Time for a new WIP project from me.

This is the TX-130 Saber-class Fighter Tank, which was originally designed for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars video game. It also appeared in the Star Wars: Battlefront series and is personally one of my favourite repulsor tank designs.

So far I've only modelled the heavy laser cannons on either side of the main cockpit. The rest of it is currently just a low-res placeholder.
In my renders any placeholder parts I will render with a red texture, WIP parts with a blue texture, and finished parts with a grey texture. That should make it a bit easier to tell what exactly has changed since the last render.

tx130wip001.th.jpg tx130001.th.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Have to say that was a cool hover tank design, look forward to seeing it done.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    That's one of my favourite Clone-wars era ship too :D I remember playing the Clone Wars on my GC for hours long - if not the LAAT gunship missions then the Tank ones.
    The cannons look really good - looking forward to seeing more of this ship :thumb:
  • VASIMRVASIMR0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work! I think it already looks better than mine :D
    I cant wait to see it in more detail, and textured!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Thanks guys, I must have missed your TX-130 VASIMR, yours looks really good and it will be some nice extra reference :D

Here's a new update: I've started working on the repulsor pods on the sides. I've only detailed the "heat sink" areas so far, which I still need to go and bevel and round a few bits.
    I've got the front half of the pods shaped out, so I just need to finish the back half, then I'll start plating them.

tx130wip002.th.jpg

The red shaded placeholder model is actually the Battlefront in-game model which I managed to work out how to extract, so it's been quite helpful as a general shape guide. It also has a textured underside so I'll be able to model the underneath of the vehicle.

I also rendered it with a "Highlights" filter so all the bright surfaces shine, which should look really nice once I've got some metal textures on it :cool:
    Bump back up to page 1, and an update:
    I decided to jump straight onto the stabilisers at the back of the repulsor pods and model them next...

tx130wip003.th.jpg

Next up I think I'll start putting the armour and details on the front of the pods.
    Nice work. I left out the detail on the connection between the rear stabilizer and repulsor nacelles as I thought that it wouldn't be seen. Also, do you plan on modeling the missile bays as well?
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks really good Pyrocitor:thumb:
    VASIMR wrote: »
    Nice work. I left out the detail on the connection between the rear stabilizer and repulsor nacelles as I thought that it wouldn't be seen. Also, do you plan on modeling the missile bays as well?
    Yea, the connector probably wont be seen, but I'm a perfectionist and it looked like a fun piece to model. And yes I will be modelling the interior of the missile bays.
    And thanks Ice-Dragon

Anyway, couldn't be bothered putting all the text and render-in-renders on the image this time, so today you get a straight clay render.

clayrender001.th.jpg

I've detailed and plated the top of the repulsor pods. Now I've just got to detail the underneath, which will basically just be a horizontally stretched grid pattern with some repulsor domes.
    Then it will be on to the missile bays (which are currently blocked out in blue).
    That looks great, though I think you are missing some detail.
    Which reference are you following?
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great work here hope to see more yet its lacking detail
    That looks great, though I think you are missing some detail.
    Which reference are you following?

I'm following the cross-section drawing, screenshots of The Clone Wars model and the Battlefront in-game model.

I haven't detailed the missile bay yet, its currently in the state of "glorified box". The only thing I'm missing on the top of the repulsor pods is the part next to the missile bay that connects it to the main body of the tank. But I'll wait until I've built the basic structure of the body before I build the connector.
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    my favorite tank!

it's in starwars clone wars on the gamecube.
  • Mine too XRaider ;)

Update time:
    clayrender002.th.jpg

I'm halfway through detailing the missile bays, just got to finish the back of them and model the interior loading/launching mechanisms. Although I'll probably make a start on the main body before modelling all the loading mechanisms.

I may or may not have another update this weekend. I just got my new copy of Windows 7 so I'll be wiping my OS partition and re-installing Windows. So if that goes smoothly (which I never count on) then I should be back up and running in a couple of hours.
    sweet work.

as I advised someone on deviantart, back up your stuff.

let me know how windows 7 performs, ok?
    Nice work!
    Those were the references that I was using as well.
    However, there are still a few things missing:
    The access panels on the exterior side of the gun barrel pivots.
    The first large groove in the armor of the nacelle is either too deep or too narrow/.
    I think your rivets may be a little too small....

That's all that I can see at this moment, but I thought there were a few more things.
    Though, I really shouldn't be picking at those details, considering I completely messed up the proportions of my nacelles. :D
  • let me know how windows 7 performs, ok?
    Windows 7 actually installed fine and is running great. I'd been running the RC for the past few months and the only issues I had was sleep/hibernate problems where it would normally crash if I tried hitting the sleep button. That seems to have been fixed in the full release now though. Overall it performs much better than Vista and is a lot more stable.

Also now that I'm running a 64-bit operating system I've gotten a 20% increase in render speed (going by results from a benchmark I ran before and after the install) and a 40% increase in OpenGL performance from my graphics card.

there are still a few things missing:
    The access panels on the exterior side of the gun barrel pivots.
    The first large groove in the armor of the nacelle is either too deep or too narrow.
    I think your rivets may be a little too small....
    I'm not going to get too crazy over the small details, there's a few inconsistencies between the two in-game models and the cross-section drawing. So I'm just picking and choosing between what I think looks good on it.

Didn't get much done tonight, just finished the back of the missile bays thereby completing the top of the repulsor pods. Next I'll move onto the main body of the tank. I'll finish the underside of the repulsors later.
    I also added a couple more rivets just in front of the missile bay, and rounded some of the plates there a bit more as well.

clayrender004.th.jpg
    nice.
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Coming on well,thanks.:thumb:
  • Thanks guys

I decided to make a start on the underside of the repulsors after all.
    There's quite a bit of structural remodelling that I need to do to get everything to look right, although the worst of it is done now. I still have to do a little bit of re-modelling to tidy up the gap between the inside plates and bottom plates. There will also be a parallel grill like on the bottom of the rear stabilisers that will run along where the repulsor domes are.

clayrender005.th.jpg
    nice on the uptades great work this baby is taking shape
    I'm gonna want a set of orthos when she's done.
  • Thanks guys

@XRaider: sure I'll make sure I render some when its finished.

I was feeling creative tonight so I finished off the underside of the repulsors...
    clayrender006.th.jpg
    ... and then noticed a couple of plates that I missed on top towards the back, which I'm now going to have to go back and re-cut before the repulsors are officially completed.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on the repulsors Pyrocitor:thumb:
    After a couple of months hiatus I decided to get back into modelling this.
    I've made quite a bit of progress already; the basic hull shape of the main body of the tank has now been modelled, the underneath has been detailed, and I added a few extra details to the inside of the repulsors.
    I also made a normal map for the bolts to make them look a bit smoother.

Next up I'll be detailing the top side of the main hull.
    wow nice uptades
    Thanks aylaa

Alright big update, a lot of the top section of the hull has been modelled and detailed. The last few details on the repulsor pods have also been added.

Next up will be the hatches to the cockpit, which are the red bits in these renders. After that's done it will just be the cannon mounts and then onto texturing.
    wow
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Whoah that's quite an update ! It's really awesome-looking right now :thumb: You made me think why isn't this model being used in the Clone Wars series - it was my favourite AoTC vehicle ! (from the game)
    I don't spend much time around here any more, but seeing as the modelling of this is complete I figured I might as well update the thread here.

It didn't exactly take a whole year to complete, however I tend to work in short bursts with month long breaks in between, hence it's been a year since the last update.

UV mapping is now under-way, although it will most likely take quite a bit longer to complete so don't expect any updates until this phase is complete.

If anyone is interested, there is a full update thread with extra renders over at 3DScifi: http://www.3dscifi.com/forums/showthread.php?2068-TX-130S-Fighter-Tank
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good man, nice work.