Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Practical1:2500 scale Romulan Nova Z-1 master Finished

Odyssey SlipwaysOdyssey Slipways0 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2010 in Work in Progress #1
just thought i'd share some pictures with you of the current build by Ralph (not me) for me.

i searched around looking for either the metal mini or pictures of it, but only found 2 shots and they where of the same angle, top front left side. i never found any pictures of the metal mini from below or either end.

ralph has just some drawings from oneline from here: STSTCSOLD&A | Romulan Z-1 "Nova" class - Battleship to go by and a little resin kit (i forget who made it, but they are closed now).

the finsihed length of the kit will be 16.08cm / 6.33"

the drawings were off, so i had him go mainly with the top view drawing

pictures can be seen here of the master 2500 Nova Z-1 pictures by OdysseySlipways - Photobucket

100_2709.jpg
72734.JPG
Post edited by Odyssey Slipways on
Tagged:

• Odyssey SlipwaysOdyssey Slipways0 Posts: 0Member
    for the lazy that can't click the mouse on a link
    71902.jpg71903.jpg71904.jpg71905.jpg71906.jpg
    a few more pics.....
    71907.jpg71908.jpg71909.jpg
    and the most current pictures......
    71910.jpg71911.jpg71912.jpg71913.jpg
  • MEATLOAFrMEATLOAFr331 Posts: 0Member
    looks great, makes me want to pull out my old books and play the RPG again, always liked to use that ship against the other players
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    That's a cool ship, the best pictures of it I've seen!
    Oh and thanks for enabling the lazy :D
    your very welcome!

meatloafr, any chance you have a metal mini of this ship? if so, any chance of snapping some clear pictures of it?

i'm not 100% sure where some of the information is coming from for the lower detail on this ship (guessing the resin mini model), but it looks like on the lower rear of the ship there is a now a shuttle bay, at least that's what it looks like to me

ralph did try to scribe on the small plating around the rear of the ship but said he just couldn't do it.

once i nget the master and cast one up, i'm going to send it to someone who thinks they can make the plating as a decal add on - guess we'll see
    okay, here are 2 new pictures of it with feathers and now i can't wait to give it a rubber bath!

i did stop Ralph from putting the feathers on the underside as i just had a thought, but just thought of something else

i was thinking since the feathers would be greatly shopped off on the under side of the wing, i thouhgt maybe make a slight change, what about something to resemble a 3 or 4 toe claw? make it the same way as the feathers? (skipping this idea and moving onto the next....)

but then i got to thinking, i'll leave the feathers, but possible add the claws to the hull. on the bottom of the hull are them 2 strips (going to see about adding a bit more to them strips - looks like the bottom of a boat when i look at them...anyway) i was thinking maybe to the along side of the strips put the claws to the sides of them, but rather than them being flat like the feathers, make them a bit taller and on the leading edge, make a singe dimple in each and use them as torpedo pods?

just a thought, it is a war bird afterall......

what do you think
    72043.jpg72044.jpg
    okay, i spoke to Ralph on the phone about the beak and how i thought it was another part in front of the head. after a few minutes of trying to describe things over the phone, the basics were worked out.

Ralph would like to leave the beak as it is now, very suttle. the beak i am looking at would be a bit more pronounced and a bit more like the drawings he is working from.

i asked if a separate piece can be made and he doesn't think so, BUT what he is going to do is put on a piece of clay and sculpt something basic and take some pictures of it for me. at that point i'll see how it looks - if it's close to call, i may put up a pole as to what way to go with the beak (unless i can convince him to make it a separate piece so the builder can choose)
    I wish i still had my mini's, got "lost" some years ago (mom tossed out during a move), But I do have a 'crap ton' of books... as for the decals I could whip some up if you'd like
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like a great and highly detailed model. And since it is Romulan I like it even more :)
    okay, i just added 3 more pictures

the first picture shows to different angles of the head and i drew in with black lines how i think the beak should be. doing it this way is closer to the drawings. i think it's more practical and funtionable that a decrative beak

beak3edita.jpg

the next 2 pictures show Ralph's idea on the new beak. i like it, but to me it comes across as more decrative than functionable.

Romulanheadsample02.jpg

Romulanheadsample01.jpg

part of the difference is (to me anyway) is i am trying to follow the original drawings than being decrative. if we go the way ralph has it, it would also change the detailing on the top of the head, loosing the oval shaped piece in the middle of the head (bridge?).

so what do you think?

Ralph's way or mine?
  • Dayton KitchensDayton Kitchens0 Posts: 0Member
    The Nova was one of the best FASA designs.

I used to have one (along with a Klingon L-24) but lost them when I moved.
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice to see, did a 3d model of it a few years ago.
    so what do you think?

Ralph's way or mine?

Think I would go for your way.
    the model looks better without the head, the "beak" if modeled should be lower and made part of the wing/pylon structure, like the first example... but maybe slightly farther out
    i drew it pretty much as it shows on the top view of the drawings. i could push it a but further forward if need be, but i don't think the beak should be as big (long) as the head.

wjaspers, any chance your work is still around to look at?

i thought when he was going to add a larger beak to it, it would have just continued off the front of the head without that extra build up
    Here are some, changed the nacelles, did not like the original ones.
    72108.jpg72109.jpg72110.jpg72111.jpg72112.jpg
    3-D looks sweet, i like the feathers along the rear of the hull, and the "beak" on the side of the hull in front of the wings, the only thing missing is claws on the underside
    wjaspers, did you model that from a FASA mini or from just the drawings and added your own flare on things?

i do like the way the feathers cover the entire wing,makes me wish that part of the ship wasn't done yet...why didn't you post these in th ebegining....? i would have followed some of your designs.... specialy the wings

now on pictures 2 and 5, there is that part showing on the underside (it looks lit in pic 2), is that hangar bays?
    Modeled it from the drawings similar to the ones you have, think they came from a FASA book. Made it for the USS Lexington, used as the bad guys in their fan flic, and they requested a bit more updated model, that is where the "own flare" came from.

On the bottom are indeed the (simple) hangar bays.
    I got bored and made a feather decal pic for the inside top wings, if you have a direct top shot of the outer feathers I could add them to this picture

z-1 wings.jpg
    Picture is large, but will scale down nicely... depending on the finial size of the model
    72186.jpg
    this is only one top shot and i posted it back with the first shots of the feathered wings. as for decals, thank's but i have someone that'll be doing some for this kit - so far it'll be the plating lines around the back end of the model. i'll see about adding more (decaled)feathers to it once the model is done. if i do add them, the'll be outlines and the'll be added to the flat parts of the wings
  • arashikamiarashikami0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work! More Romulan ships to go along with the Winged Defender and White Wind. Have you ever thought of doing the Romulan ships from the Starfleet Command VG?
    can't say i know that name, what do they look like?

as of right now, Ralph has enough work from me right now to last him until this time next year
    I have just added 2 new pictures. they show the different beak options for building. the one shows a small, pointy beak where the other offers a wedge shaped beak.

Pointy Beak
    Beak01.jpg
    Wedge Beak
    Beak02.jpg

looking at the pointy beak, it seems a bit small, so i was thinking, if i where to have ralph add a small strip of plastic along the side edges of the beak from the tip back, then diviade the side into 3rds, make the front 1/3 a solid area, and add a strip or two along the sides vertically, it would give the pointy beak the illusion of more mass (this would also make it look a bit more like some of the beaks shown in the comics).

so what do you think about me having that detail added to the pointy beak?
    Okay, i received another 2 more pictures from Ralph last night and they are of the one beak and other detailing

the pointy beak now has some added detailing to the sides and gives it just a bit more mass looking and not some little thorn.

In these 2 new pictures you'll also note the recessed area from the nose of the ship back to the beak as been filled in with detail.

Ralph also informed me he has added the feathers to the underside of the wings.

I'm not too sure what else may be missing from the master at this point other than the nacelles.

so at this point it almost looks like the master is complete and it'll be soon ready for molding, then off to (hopefully) have decals made for the plating around the aft end of the ship, then boxed and sold as a kit
    72264.jpg72265.jpg
  • This will be probably be one of the last updates for this - that is until one is built, painted decals added.

The newest 4 pictures shows the stock, incomplete nacelles in place.

the next set of pictures should show the optional front end for the nacelles, after that, it'll be on it's way to me for molding, then one casting sent off for decals while i cast some more

okay, i still don't know why i can't upload pictures for them thumbnails, so i'll have to just put in the links to insert the large pictures...

Romulan21.jpg

Romulan22.jpg

Romulan23.jpg

Romulan24.jpg
  • well that day is here, the master is finished!

to help with the thread page not loading up to slowly for those with dial up, i'll post one a few of the pictures i got today from Ralph, but all of them have been uploaded to the Photobucket account

100_2707.jpg

100_2709.jpg

100_2712.jpg

oh and i asked Ralph to make one more set of nose pieces for the nacelles as a 3rd option for the builders - i haven't heard back from him yet on them, he went away for the weekend, but i'm sure they'll be a no-brainer for him to make

now to start paying for this nice work of art so i can get it, mold it and then send it off for decals. depending on how much a decal set takes up will depend on what decal options i'll have added such as the area in front of the wings on the upper hull that shows plating, i may see about having some plating and some lit windows, or maybe all windows and also offer some additional feathers to go onto the wings behind the current feathers and some other possible decal options. i have a few other decal options i am thinking of, but it all depends on how much space a basic set takes up
  • Out of curiosity, do you know what brand or type of clay was used to make this? Or even if it was clay/sculpy?
  • no sculpy, no clay, no artifical fillers or flavors.

he started with a solid block styrene plastic and did it all by hand (except where he milled out for the wings to fit into)
  • DonovichDonovich0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, thats a great jobs! The Nova is the beast from FASA Corps' Star Trek Combat Simulator, I fought her kind back during the early testing phase for the board game.

McP: Starship USS Churchill

Nice to see someone remembers the good-old-days. Thanks