Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Editable mesh

Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
Some months ago i opened the scene about my aurora, i converted one piece in editable mesh and i have attached all other parts of the ship. In this way i could smoothly rotate the viewport.
Some weeks ago i've done the same with my daedalus, but this time i didn't have any improvement in the viewport, is still a pain to work with this mesh.
i really don't understand what's wrong: th aurora is over 900k polys and i can copy this mesh even 4-5 times and the viewport is still smoothly; the daedalus is 'only' 1.7 million polys, and with only one mesh, it's really slow.
Do you know why this happens and how can i solve it?
Also, i noticed a massive use of Ram when i attached a list of objects to a mesh, basically i restarted the program every 150-200 items attached. Is it normal?
Post edited by Davide_sd on

• CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    you've pushed some limit there.. the example mesh is half the size really so learn from that, your machine can handle so much but will struggle with really big objects so,

- keep it in lots of separate bits less than 900k, it'll be easier for your comp to work with.

- make use of instances, this saves on RAM, even a mirrored instance will take up less space than a symmetry and collapse, or a instance copy and collapse (remember that collapsing will destroy the instance data

- keep everything as edit mesh, i find its not as important (if at all) as it used to be with older versions but it can't hurt - remember agian to collapse to edit mesh and then instance

- make your textures lower in colour depth, often its hard to tell the difference between 32 bit and 16 bit and even lower, but the textures will use up a lot less space, also make sure that when you texture, you keep your textures square to a power of two, this is the most efficient way of doing it, long skinnny textures or non power of 2 squares waste space at render time and vram in your viewport.
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    i'm going to try it! thanks for the tips.