Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DGunship Illustrious

hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
This is my first post here despite having been a member for quite some time.

The Illustrious is a troop transport / gunship set in the Battlestar Galactica universe for a fanfic over at my web site.

I was inspired by a vessel from the Wing Commander universe known as the Black Lance transport that was used to transport fighter craft.

My ultimate goal is to model this ship once I learn Lightwave.

This is a rough design and I hope to make it more presentable in the future.

C&C definitely welcome.

Thanks!

**Edit**
Thanks to John Guentzel for his original artwork where I got my inspiration - sorry, forgot the tag.
71200.jpg
Post edited by hazend on
Tagged:

• bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting design. Do the rear missile bays fold into the hull like the dropship in Alien? The perspective is a bit off in the bottom picture, but as a rough design it gets the point across. I think it has a lot of potential!
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks bbzwbbzw,

The bays don't fold in but it's an interesting thought. I may have to look at that possibility. I appreciate the comment.
  • lennier1lennier1914 Posts: 1,284Member
    Interesting start.
    I really like how youA’re combining ideas from Wing Commander and Star Wars.
    And itA’s one of those shapes which you can revisit after a while again to make an even more detailed version as you gain experience.
    Much appreciated Lennier1. I have several ideas I'm cooking up in regards to the Illustrious. The slope on the rear section is actually planned as a ramp for combat operations as well as jump (para) ops.
    Update time. Here is a rough sketch of the Illustrious head on. I am grappling with the idea of making it a bit more aerodynamic during atmospheric flight. Any ideas are, of course, always welcome.
    71423.png
  • MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
    The Black Lance transport! No wonder I got a de-ja-vu feeling when I saw this pic.
    It was definitely an inspiration. I liked the lines and the overall shape but I wanted to make something that could move as well. The Black lance had engines where the missile bays are now. The lower fuselage was a different shape and, of course the transport is A LOT bigger. I also changed the area where the transport's engines should be into a set of missile racks and added engines in a totally different place.

The crew / troop area has windows and an access door. In addition there are two tail sections that add to stability.
    It's been a while since I last updated. I want to add a top-down view of the Illustrious:
    73401.jpg
    Hello all,

I've changed the look of the Illustrious a bit as I thought more and more about different aspects of the ship's actual role as a gunship. Here is the first of several different images I will be posting in 2D.

In the nose there are two multi-barreled miniguns. Underneath each of the front hardpoints are two sets of rocket pods. These are removeable for different types of munitions depending on the mission. In addition there is room for more than one type of ammo.

Remember this is a rough sketch only. Once I get it the way I really want it I'll draw it with much cleaner lines.

As always feedback is welcome.

Thanks
    83423.jpg
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Looks interesting, what are your plans, going to model her in 3d or do a cool 2d painting?
    Ultimately I plan to model her in 3D. I own Lightwave but I haven't learned how to use it yet. I would love to learn it to the point of being able to make animations, images, etc.
    Update time,

I've changed the overall look of the side, added sharper lines, and placed the weapon hardpoints in their positions.

Illustriousredoside.jpg

C&C definitely welcome.
    Thanks
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Sleeker.
    Newest update,

I've changed the bottom of the fuselage a bit. More updates soon(ish).
    85361.jpg
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Any chance of a Trekified version of this?
    Anything's possible. I'll need to look at a bunch of Trek stuff to get the ideas though. I'll work on one after I finish this one.
    Update:

I've started learning Lightwave so I'll make the transition from 2d to 3d as soon as I feel more comfortable with the interface.