Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DProject Cosmos - The Morningstar

TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
edited June 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Okay folks. Here is the first basic iteration of the hull for the Morningstar. The hull isn't finished yet with primary pieces obvious- the sensor array at the front and the wings on the top to name a few things. Anyways, I'll be workin on this 'till it's done. :)
69663d1245053037-project-cosmos-morningstar-wip01.jpg

The red block is a 6' person for comparison.
69663.jpg
Post edited by Tovette on
Tagged:

• Looks like a good solid start what's the Morningstars role? Its' profile looks quite aggressive.
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    She looks looks really nice blocked out.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Firelode wrote: »
    Looks like a good solid start what's the Morningstars role? Its' profile looks quite aggressive.

The Morningstar is a 'Quasar Class' Cruiser for civilian use. It was designed by the famous architect, Larsen Kevlin, which explains it's aggressive styling. This class of vessel boasts speed above anything else. It's FTL drive and engines are huge for this ship's size and are practically shoehorned into the hull.

I'm working on Sub-D'ing the cage right now and it's a huge pain in the ass due to this thing's complex surface.
  • backsteptbackstept2347 Posts: 970Member
    a boat for Jack finally :D

looks speedy, can't wait to see it develop
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1216 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,644Member
    Nice start. Look forward to seeing it progress.
    I worked on it a little more tonight. Most of the progress was in cleaning the cage so I can get a clean subdivision. I also added in the rough for the upper wings and I also detailed out the engine inlets.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69696&stc=1&d=1245144678

attachment.php?attachmentid=69697&stc=1&d=1245144678

More to come :)
    69696.jpg69697.jpg
  • backsteptbackstept2347 Posts: 970Member
    dude that's awesome!
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    It has a very interesting shape, I look forward to seeing what comes of it.
  • admiralducksaucadmiralducksauc0 Posts: 0Member
    It looks really nice. Very aggressive lines. I've always liked the name "Morningstar" for starships too. It can be a medieval weapon, a pretty star in the night sky, or the Devil. :)
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    I've always liked the name "Morningstar" for starships too. It can be a medieval weapon, a pretty star in the night sky, or the Devil. :)
    Well, just to be pedantic, it is the planet Venus when it is on the left side of the Sun, not a star; and it is Lucifer, not the Devil. But you are right, it is deliciously ambiguous.
    nyrath wrote: »
    Well, just to be pedantic, it is the planet Venus when it is on the left side of the Sun, not a star; and it is Lucifer, not the Devil. But you are right, it is deliciously ambiguous.

Lucifer is the Devil, they're just two names that mean the same thing :p Morningstar was Luci's nickname before he fell. :p
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Very interesting start to the Morningstar there Tovette:D I look forward to seeing how this turns out:thumb:
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    oh, a ship by tovette, we already know this is gonna end up being pure kicka**. Looks like a great design, should be interesting how you'll incorporate greebles into this sleek model. Or will it mostly rely on textures and look more like an airplane?
    Berkut wrote: »
    oh, a ship by tovette, we already know this is gonna end up being pure kicka**. Looks like a great design, should be interesting how you'll incorporate greebles into this sleek model. Or will it mostly rely on textures and look more like an airplane?

For now it will mostly be modeled out.
  • FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very nice mate don't see you doing 3d to often.
    Freak wrote: »
    Very nice mate don't see you doing 3d to often.

I'm definitely an illustrator at heart, but I like to dabble in 3D once in a while. :)
  • PipPip171 Posts: 0Member
    Oooh, really sleak - The flat-along-the-X-axis style and fins give it a kind of racing car feel. :cool:
    Thanks Pip :)
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, reminds me a little of Slave from the last season of blakes 7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Forgot you did 3D too ( *cough* not jealous). Whatever happened to that Russian Jet you were working on? ;p

But like everyone else said, got a nice agreesive profile to it

Cool beans Tov :)
    Choo1701 wrote: »
    Forgot you did 3D too ( *cough* not jealous). Whatever happened to that Russian Jet you were working on? ;p

But like everyone else said, got a nice agreesive profile to it

Cool beans Tov :)

Thanks Choo. Yeah I still have that fighter. I still think about working on it but cosmos always takes priority.
    Here's some more progress. It's not much but I've been cleaning the mesh after smoothing and I'm not done yet. I'm almost to the fun part- details!

attachment.php?attachmentid=69756&stc=1&d=1245315803

attachment.php?attachmentid=69757&stc=1&d=1245315803
    69756.jpg69757.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that looks awesome :thumb: I love the 2D design and the mesh seems to be just as cool ! I have to visit your thread today once I'm finished with my exams because I see you've been pretty busy with the project.
    Got a chance to work on the model a little this weekend. Not as much as I'd liked to have but oh well. Mostly worked on the nose and started fleshing out those sections.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=69860&stc=1&d=1245583590
    69860.jpg
  • It's looking better every time I see it, it's nice that architects are getting in on designing ships. I have thought that once starships get over a certain size that a new profession is likely to be created.

It's like the current complexity with electronics, sure you know how to make a PCB but you're not going to know how to make a CPU, that's a specialization. I think space vessels will be the same, building a transport or shuttle is one thing, putting together a 400 meter passenger liner is almost a completely difference discipline.

What do the cylinders either side of the nose do?
    I'm not exactly sure what they do yet. I have a few ideas but I'll wait until I'm done with everything before I choose.
  • FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    Could be some kind of breaking system or sensors.
    Ok, so after a long time not working on this, because I was on vacation in Europe, I am now posting a new update. I trashed everything I did before because I didn't like it. This is the newer version. It's a quick and dirty render so ignore the errors I have been too lazy to fix. :p
    attachment.php?attachmentid=71398&stc=1&d=1249356043
    attachment.php?attachmentid=71399&stc=1&d=1249356043
    71398.jpg71399.jpg
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    The details look good
  • nhallnhall171 Posts: 0Member
    O.O Awesome! Project Cosmos 3D WIP -- all I needed to see to know this was going to be awesome. Great work as usual, tovette. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: (By the way, are you ever going to open the Project Cosmos store on the site? I've had my credit card ready for some time, and my fingers are getting numb from gripping it for so long. :lol: )