Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Triton - first WIP

poboy975poboy9750 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hello all. I've been using blender 3d for about a couple of weeks now, and thought I'd post my first WIP. let me know what you think, I definatly could use some ideas especially on detailing and texturing.
64595.jpg
64596.jpg
64597.jpg
64598.jpg
Post edited by poboy975 on
Tagged:

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome to the forums :D The model doesn't seem to be a bad start overall. The only aspect that should be fixed is the smoothness of some parts - I don't know how it works in blender but you should apply some smoothing modifier or reapply smoothing groups to the polygons. Don't worry about it though - I was probably even not as good as you when I was starting :p
  • poboy975poboy9750 Posts: 0Member
    blender has several smoothing options, ill post a couple of pics with it, but i have a couple of mesh kinks that the smoothing really highlights. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix the kinks. what kind of textures are most of the pics i see in here using? to give that basic flat off-white or light grey look? makes models look airbrushed? I threw that b5 texture on just to give some definition, but I think that flat paint would be better.
    64620.jpg
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Welcome on board!
    The ship looks a lot the USS Titan..
    thanks. thats what I'm hoping for. I've got some more pics, further modelling.
    64629.jpg64630.jpg64631.jpg64632.jpg64633.jpg
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Starship wrote: »
    Welcome on board!
    The ship looks a lot the USS Titan..

USS Triton is a Luna class vessel, like the Titan.

Nice start but your right about the textures they are not right for this ship. If you do a seach here for the USS Titon thread in wip then you can see what the hull is supposed to look like. I don't know anything about Blender so I can't help. Welcome to SFM!
  • CrimsonLineCrimsonLine171 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome to the world of Blender!

You're making a good start, but you probably want to slow down, and correct some of the errors on the parts you've already made before you move on to new parts. By "errors" I mean the wrinkly bits. We can probably help you sort those out, if you post some shots of the model from your 3D view, rather than through the renderer.

The textures you are using now are repeatable image textures. Those kinds of textures are valuable, but are not the only kind we use, because over large surfaces they become boring with all the repetition. Most modelers use UV-mapped image textures, which I unfortunately am still learning about, so I can't help you much on them. I did see an interesting approach to them at children's book illustrator Nick Towers' website.
    lol I just realised I misspelled the name, its supposed to be the titon not triton. ok, I kinda think I'm creating a tooooo complicated model...eg to many faces. here is a pic with uv mapped image. and a screen shot of model in blender.
    64638.jpg64639.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    And I was already wondering if that ship was of Luna class. ;)

Nice work.
    ok so, here is another pic with some more textures. I think I'm gonna take a break with this model, and do something a little smaller. I gotta learn some more texturing. *sigh* I'm think blender has some limitations in the 3d modelling area. so a question, how do you get the flat matte paint look? I really like that look, makes it look very airbrushed, really nice. but I havent been able to find any tutorials on how to make a texture like that.
    64646.jpg
  • CrimsonLineCrimsonLine171 Posts: 0Member
    It's a combination of materials and textures, or of overlapping textures. Textures can be applied to the color of the model, to its specularity (shininess), its normals (creating "bumps" on the surface), and a whole lot of other properties. And even with the textures applied, the material has its own SPECularity and HARDness values. The higher the spec, the shinier the material. The lower the spec, the flatter and more matte the material.

For overlapping textures, you can create a separate texture for the color (with the registry and some of the "paint" details on it), for the specularity (using white, black, and shades of gray to control the variations in specularity, with the Aztec pattern on it, or hull plating), AND for the normals (again, with white, black, and gray shades indicating how high off the surface each section should be bumped). You can create multiple textures for the color channel, too - one for the registry, and one for the "dirt" that is on the hull, for instance. And you can control how much each texture influences the final look. Go crazy!
  • regemetregemet0 Posts: 0Member
    As I see it the Luna class belongs to the same family as the Akira with which it shares a lot of design features.
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome aboard,really good work so far,thanks.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    ItA’s a BIG NECROPOST regemet....