Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSome Star Wars models

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited August 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi, I've been working on some Star Wars models for quite some time, and I would like to share my work and hopefully get some feedback on them. Ultimately I would like to use them in some kind of animation, but first target is to get them all finished!

When I started this project I had previously made a couple of models in max, but I didn't realise how much work I was taking on in the beginning, but I'm quite determined to finish them, however long it takes.

Many thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Those are really good looking, especially the detailing on the ISD. I'm exhausted just thinking about the work that's already gone into it.
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    Severus wrote: »
    Those are really good looking, especially the detailing on the ISD. I'm exhausted just thinking about the work that's already gone into it.

Here here, I do agree amazing stuff you got here!:thumb::flippy::thumb:
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    very nice work so far. I like what you did with the engine area of the ISD. I also like how you are mixing up the greebles from the 8' model with some of your own pieces.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow those are really awesome ! :D You did an amazing job, they're some of the best Star Wars models I've seen lately :thumb:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member

Thanks very much :)
    kborak wrote: »
    Here here, I do agree amazing stuff you got here!:thumb::flippy::thumb:

Thanks!
    Jedilaw wrote: »
    very nice work so far. I like what you did with the engine area of the ISD. I also like how you are mixing up the greebles from the 8' model with some of your own pieces.

Thankyou :) I've tried to keep a degree of fidelity to the ISD mk2, but there are areas where I can't see exactly how a part is formed in the references and you have to make my best guess.

I hope you'll have every success with your ISD model, it looks fantastic, really amazing work :thumb:
    Wow those are really awesome ! :D You did an amazing job, they're some of the best Star Wars models I've seen lately :thumb:

That's quite a compliment given the standard of work on this site, thanks :)
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    i like the SD the most ! holy crab it must have been a monster-job to detail that THING !
    great job you're running with it !

stephan
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on all of those, especially the SD
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Really nice detailing, keep it up! I don't know how detailed your SD is compared to some other people's, but it looks very impressive to me. Now I wonder what they'll look like with textures? :)
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Yup, very nice. They might not be 100% accurate, but every model doesn't have to be about rivets and calipers. :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    stonky wrote: »
    Yup, very nice. They might not be 100% accurate, but every model doesn't have to be about rivets and calipers. :)
    Ansel or Jedilaw may disagree with you on that :shiner:

i like the A-Wing, now just texture them!
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    ^Not at all. Interpretation at some level is critical for art. 100% accuracy is a worthy goal, but sometimes you do want to cut loose. Like if the studio model is too barren for you.

This is very nice work. The ISD detailing is right on the money as regards style. Could use some edge rounding in parts, but very well executed, esp the engines.

Are the AW and TIE going to be low-poly models, or are you going to up the detail for closer shots?
    ^Not at all. Interpretation at some level is critical for art. 100% accuracy is a worthy goal, but sometimes you do want to cut loose. Like if the studio model is too barren for you.

This is very nice work. The ISD detailing is right on the money as regards style. Could use some edge rounding in parts, but very well executed, esp the engines.

Are the AW and TIE going to be low-poly models, or are you going to up the detail for closer shots?

Thanks for all the kind replies, and thanks very much for the encouragement Fractalsponge :) I did add detail to the starboard side of the ISD, as that side is very empty on the model used in the films.

This is the first model that I've made that has exceeded 200K polygons and so I'm being careful with smoothing polygons for now to keep viewport speed up. Hopefully my computer will be up to having all those models in the same scene without having a meltdown.

Added a render of the superstructure and the bridge tower.
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    That looks fantastic. As far as accuracy is concerned, I wouldn't want to meet the person that actually knows each and every greeble on the model. Besides no two ships/planes etc. in real life are exactly the same, let alone studio models for the movies. This is a beautiful piece of work and I can't wait to see the finished product. As far as the polygon count and viewport speed goes, Fractalsponge was kind enough to share using layers with me when my Tormentor model was starting to really slow things down. It's helped considerably, before that I had broken my model up into separate pieces, which was a whole other headache in and of itself.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    That looks fantastic. As far as accuracy is concerned, I wouldn't want to meet the person that actually knows each and every greeble on the model.

*cough* Pleased to meet you!

Accuracy in reproducing an exiting design is all fine and good, but it is not in any way a prerequisite to making good art. Ansel's ISD is not about piece-by-piece reproduction. The hull dimensions are different from the 8' model, the details are different from the 3' model (and in many respects different from the 8' model). He did his own thing, to amazing effect.

My reason for deciding to explicitly aim for accuracy was that Ansel had already done such an awesome job with his interpretation of the ISD style the only way that I could distinguish my project from his was to set a goal that he hadn't been shooting for. Short of that, he had already made what I considered to be the definitive fan version of the ISD.

The thing is, I was incorrect in thinking that there was only room for one "in-the-style-of" version of the ISD. Bolshybeef has shown that much already. It's not a competition, after all, we're all just trying to make these things in our own way.
    Some more updates, some detailing done on the upper superstructure. I would have liked to have done more, but I've been watching BSG from the beginning so modeling went out of the window for a while :)
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice stuff Bolshybeef
    Wow :o ! That's a really awesome model Bolshy. The level of details even now reminds me of fractal's killer Destroyer. Can't wait to see this one finished :D
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    Bolshybeef - your work is really nice...keep it up
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    exactly great work there hope to see more soon
    Thanks to everyone for all the replies and encouragement!, happy new to you all too :)

Had more time to work lately on the model, managed to get some of the paneling done on the upper hull
    Looks like it was worth the wait :thumb: However, I think the panels on the front are a bit too smal when compared to the rear of the ship. Anyway the model is really cool so far ... oh and happy new year to you too :D
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Great job on the ISD Bolshybeef. Very nice.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    Impressive, most impressive!
    Some more updates. Thanks again to all those who replied, the encouragement helps a lot and your criticisms help me make the model a lot better.

Thanks Somacruz for the advice about the panels :) I've altered them now, I hope it looks a lot more evenly sized now. A lot of work done around the engines as well, so many pipes and tubes, needs a plumber to work it all out!
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Truly impressive work there Bolshybeef! How is she weighing in in terms of polycount at the moment? The detailing is fantastic. One question though - Are those engine bells big enough at the moment? Operating completely from memory the look a little on the small size to me...
    Thanks Comco for the reply. She's at about 900K polygons at the moment, probably wil be around 1.25 to 1.50 million when done I imagine. I didn't want to make her too high poly, my computer isn't up to all that much and I hate it when the viewport is too slow.

As for the engines, I looked at my reference pictures afterwards and I'd say sometimes they look a little small in comparison, sometimes too big lol. I'm not sure, there is a lot of optical distortion going on at the rear of the ship, the middle engine is as big as the other two but always looks way too small to me too. Much bigger and they wouldn't fit in the hull though.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    nice work keep it up
    Still going, nearly 3 years on. Worlds slowest 3d artist.
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good! Makes me feel a bit better at already being at about a year and counting on mine.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Phew, i'm not the slowest one here :D
    Looking really good!! Is the Tie on scale? It looks a bit to big imo ???