Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Blender - Moving Sky/Clouds?

weaselandalfweaselandalf0 Posts: 0Member
Hey guys,

Using Blender, I'm trying to create a scene in which a rocket/plane/ship is flying through the sky, facing straight at the camera, (whilst the camera travels with it, possible orbiting to get a good look at my crappy model).

To facilitate quick and easy camera moves, I've decided to have the sky moving and the model and camera stationary which creates the illusion of movement. (Actually got this idea from watching an old documentary about the very ship I'm modelling.),
The problem is, that without a convincing sky, this animation looks awful. I've tried several approaches, including planes with images on them, particle clouds and even a quick and terrified look at SSS and sculpted clouds. :eek:

I realise that clouds are difficult at the best of times, but any help would be greatfully recieved. :D
Post edited by weaselandalf on

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    a rocket/plane/ship
    aka thunderbird 1 by the looks of it

if the camera is looking directly down the whole time then get one of the 16k or higher cloud images from nasa, find a bit you like the look of and cut that out and put it on a plane, that should look ok providing you go through a cloud and do some soft particles to blend it, then by the time you get out of the particle cloud you should be high up enough for the flat plane to work
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    are you planning on flying through the clouds or are you just wanting clouds to be seen? The second option could be done using clouds mapped to a sphere
  • weaselandalfweaselandalf0 Posts: 0Member
    IRML wrote: »
    aka thunderbird 1 by the looks of it

It is, but an extremely low poly version of it, in what wil hopefully be a phototrealistic-ish environment.

I would have liked to have gone the whole nine yards and gone for clouds that TB1 can fly through, but to be honest, I'll settle for anything better than a plain blue background. I do realise that realistic volumetric clouds are a bit out of Blender's (and my) reach just yet...

Here's my concept (concept - hence why earth hasn't yet been cloud mapped)of a low poly Thunderbird 3 (attatched). It's not meant to look to real, just a concept of how a cartoon-style animation using textures for backgrounds would look.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    you don't need to make the clouds realistic, as long as you have one big enough on your plane you can use a simple particle cloud with some turbulence to break it up a bit, and use that as a mask for the ship so it's looking like it's travelling through the cloud on the plane

it's better this way because if you use clouds on a plane and travel through clear air between 2 of them then you can see it's just 2D clouds, but if you hide that transition though the plane with a particle cloud then by the time you've passed the plane you're away from it a bit and it doesn't look as crap
  • weaselandalfweaselandalf0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice idea, I'll give it a try and get back to you. Thanks guys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    great little tut for clouds in blender! Cogfilms Quick Tutorials