Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

how do you make a planet textures?

Cyborg CommandoCyborg Commando0 Posts: 0Member
Hello

Im trying to find a tutorial or some idea how to make this for a long time,
What Im talking about is not how to create a planet in 3D but just the
texture of it, take a look in this example
you can see that in the top and bottom there is a distortion so it would
fit on a sphere, I have no idea how to create this thing, I tried to use lunarcell
and I tried to use some others plugins but still no luck.
How do you guys do that texture?
Post edited by Cyborg Commando on

• backsteptbackstept2094 Posts: 931Member
    How do you guys do that texture?

Practice. :)

this is the best tut I've seen for making planets :thumb:
    takes some thought, but it gets good results :D
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member-tutorials/6099-interactive-planet-creation-tutorial.html
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/6952-following-aszazeroths-tutorial.html
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    Agree, both those previously mentioned tutorials are top-notch. You can read, if you have not already read, Greg Martin's planet tutorial or any of the few that you can find at deviantart.com like this one for example.

But, the example you have is only useful for mapping to a sphere in a 3D application so not sure if you want to know how to do that in 2D for a 3D package or what? Flaming Pear has a free set of PhotoShop plug-ins that has a filter called Sphere Wrap that stretches the polar areas to create that look. Personally I don't think it works all that well but may be worth a try (since, again, it's free :) ).

There is a tutorial out there (sorry you'll have to look for that one) that shows how to use Photoshop polar coordinates deform to make that stretch.

But if you are just trying to make convincing 2D work the above tutorials work great.
  • Cyborg CommandoCyborg Commando0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you both for the answers, I did not know about that tutorial

@Helot
    I didn't want a 2D planet, I want a 2D texture for a 3D planet, as for that
    distortion you were right, Sphere Wrap B plugin from flaming pear
    make the same thing, so thank you again.
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    If you have any problems or suggstions/questions to my humble attempt to make a tutorial, just post them here on the forum. I tend to swoop by from time to time =)