Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Custom Greebles - Beginner Question (3DS Max)

SaidinSaidin0 Posts: 0Member
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a while as I learn how to model and slowly progress my skills. I have a question though that seems to be coming up in my mind constantly.

Firstly, I'd like to reference this thread: greebles challenge

Then I'd like to ask are most greebles in max created as separate objects and then attached on top of things? Is that how things like perfect circles and circular objects created?

I'm still pretty new to modeling although I do know what I'm doing in some areas (animation, rigging, some character modelling) and I know how to cut panels out, bevel etc. But when I try to think about extruding that kind of detail out of a polygon (I use poly's over meshes) I just can't seem to ever create the amount of verticies needed for the level of detail I want. It makes sense to me to create say a cylinder and drop it on top somewhere but then it seems that there are so many extra polys and faces and things to worry about when texturing.

In that thread, are those greebles created out of the base panel or added on top? Are they smoothed?

It seems that any wire's I can get a hold of, or example are either really hard to extrapolate techniques from, or are generally poor quality meshes. Or maybe they aren't poor and I just think they are because they are just combinations of chamferboxes and chamercyls.

I'm trying to learn and I seem to be at a roadblock thats getting in the way of my progression!

Any help here would be so greatly appreciated!! I want to go into a high level of detail, but this hump is something I'm just not getting!! :eek:
Post edited by Saidin on

• TundraYetiTundraYeti0 Posts: 0Member
    do you know how to use splines and how to create boolean objects?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    most greebles are usually just a bunch of primitives(boxes, tubes, etc) put together to make a more interesting shape. Download Jedilaws greeble packs to see how they are made. Most are very simple.

Most people, inlcuding myself, just put the greebles over the hull and are not attached in any way to save polygons.