Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Spline Cages or Lofting? -*confused*-

efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
I've tried this several times using various different online tutorials.

I'm trying to build a turret for a ship and was thinking that using a spline cage would be the best way for two reasons. One, I can poly model round shapes to save my life, and Two, Cause I suppose that learning to use Splines will help me in the long run, later on.

Anyway, as I said, I've tried using several different tutorials and I'm just not grasping this.

I found this image online somewhere and like the way the turret looks.
Attachment not found.

If anyone could post either a clear, easy way to model using spline cages, or loft (I've tried various methods for both) or have links to a very detailed tutorial, that would be great. By detailed, I mean has screen caps of what options to actually set in the various panels and rollouts.

I'm using 3D Studio 9 32bit under XP.

I appreciate any help any of you guys can provide!!
Post edited by efritsch on

• NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    A model like that will not really benefit too greatly from using Splinecages or Lofting. You'd be better off using the following techniques:

Simple extrudes / cylindrical primitives (for the gun barrells)
    Extended primitives Oil Tank or Capsule for the round bit in the center
    Extended primitive Capsule for the two oblong bits around the center piece
    Simple primitive Cylinder for the two red pieces on top
    Simple primitive Box with 4 segments on each side, apply a 4x4x4 FFD modifier to achieve the basic general shape you want and then apply a Meshsmooth modifier to round everything out (for the turret body)

Once all the parts are created you then go back with some spline shapes and Shapemerge them into the body of the turret in order to make depressions for the required parts (using simply negative extrudes). The two bits on the sides can just be some extruded polys with chamfered edges, then highlight those individual polys and apply a Smooth (SMOOTH! NOT Meshsmooth) modifier to soften things up a bit.

Done correctly, it should take only about an hour or two.