Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D Max 7: Default Scanline Renderer Problem

Genex-X1Genex-X10 Posts: 0Member
I seem to be having a slight hiccup with the renderer itself

What keeps happerning is it will allow me to render 2-3 times and when it comes to render for the 3-4th time it hangs and doesn't render anything and crashes

At first i thought:
It must be my scene, lets see if its the lighting,
1. yes 2. Yes 3.Hangs
Ok so its not the lighting how about the mesh?, it has parts with a lattice modifer on it, deleted the lattice
1. yes 2. yes 3.Hangs
So maybe its the whole mesh its self, reset scene, create sphere
1. yes 2. yes 3.Hangs

Does anyone have any advice, or could tell me what other render to use in the mean time?
Post edited by Genex-X1 on

• citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    Are you using any other programs at the same time? What's your memory like?
  • DeadlyDarknessDeadlyDarkness0 Posts: 0Member
    I had this when I overclocked my cpu and memory. Usually overclocked memory is the problem, or just the memory.
  • Genex-X1Genex-X10 Posts: 0Member
    Usually when I'm 'playing' about in Max I just have Max, Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer running, As for my memoryI'm not sure as to how i go about checking but i saw this in my "System Information":

Total physical Memory: 1,024.00MB
    Avalible Physical memory: 345.77MB
    Total Virtual Memory: 2.00GB
    Available Virtual Memory: 1.96GB

Is that helpful or shall I try to find more information?
  • Tag_AstroTag_Astro0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi man!
    Next month, I had got the same problem as you. And I fixed it by chance. It was a problem with particules. I used a parray(or pcloud) to make a starfield. After disabling all lightning to theses particules, my pc crashed again... I finished by deleted the particules and my pc didn't crash anymore. You might not use particules, but I want to say that you must try bye deleting one particular mesh or object, and see if it works or not... If that works, so the problem comes from this mesh or object. I will be to you to try to fix it by decrasing the number of poly of it, or the change the lightning on it.. etc...

Tag
    I know its not the program anymore but my computer, I'm in the process of defragging it now, as there are meshes that i have rendered over and over again before this 'problem'

time to search for massive files and delete them
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix0 Posts: 0Member
    That is a bizarre problem. Unfortunately I have no solutions, but it sounds like you are on to one.
  • HobbesHobbes5 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know if this will help, but when you try to render open up your task manager and check the performance tab. Watch to see if the PF field maxes out (all ur memory), I can tell you from some recent experiences of mine that on some particular renders where this did max out at 2gb (I have 2gb ram), max would fail with an 'unhandled exception' error. I hid some items not needed or in view of the scene, and collapsed all the modifier stacks, and this helped keep it below the 'red line'.

I've done quite a bit of research on this type of max behaviour, and something else to try, odd as it could sound, is to remove half your ram and try rendering again. It's inconvenient, but for many people this has actually worked.
    Lucky it was just the lack of memory/space I defraged the drive form 9% to a healthly(er) 27% then searched through all my documents looking for files that were class as "Huge - Gigantic" and deleted them, Needless to say deleting the Fraps folder with all my recorded game fotage was the best 20GB refund I ever got lol, Hopefully I won't have this problem when I get my 300GB External Hardrive back