Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Rounded edges

YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
Okay, i'm working on something. Essentially, i have a rectangle spline. How do i extrude it out so that the top have nice rounded edges without running into errors. For example, if i use the bevel modifier i can get rounded edges by turning on curved edges and smoothing it within the bevel modifier, but at the corners i get weird errors because it's trying to kinda bevel in on itself. So how do i get it to play nice?

This is 3dmax BTW.
Post edited by Yaric on

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9832 Posts: 5,333Member
    I assume you want a rounded top.
    There are many methods to this use edgeloops, or manualy chamfer youll have to chamfer in edge not poly. And youll have to do it in stages depending how many corners you want smoothed.
    Anothe rmethod if you want the top and all sides rounded is to use chamferbox primitive.
    box.gif
    Chamfered sides and top: This is a 3 stage deal, go into edge and select the sides and top edges chamfer it once then click loop itll select those triangle bits and click chamfer again. make the chamfer smaller than before. Then go into poly mode and select the cornersand scale them up so its not a small pinprick.
    Chamferbox: better solution to the prior faster too to get a flat botton just delete the lower part and cap it.
    Chamfered top: is a edge chamfer multiple times on the top most edges
    Edge loop: This requires a mesh smoothing modifier such as mesh smooth or turbosmoth. Box 2 is the result with isoline (not smart fo me because it doesnt show the ammount of extra mesh involved) lable 1 is the before smoothing.
    box2.gif
    Here is the un isoline version as you can see there are some edges you can yank off this to clean it up some if you decide to collapse the mesh to do other things to it. Moving the edge loops around will give you diffrent degrees of roundness or sharpness.

Hope this helps some.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.