Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Atmoshere help?

LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
I'm trying to make a planet in 3ds Max 9. I have my surface and cloud maps applied but I can't seem to get the atmosphere to work. I looked through a couple of tuts but haven't had any luck. I downloaded deks earth tutorial but it doesn't open so no good there. Can someone help?
Post edited by Lonewriter on

• BDelacroixBDelacroix0 Posts: 0Member
    Yipes, deks earth tutorial was the best one I ever found.

I'll try to paraphrase the description of how to do an atmosphere.

It is basically a transparent sphere around your textured planet. You use a light/shadow falloff along with a gradient color to get the polluted atmosphere look. You have to adjust the size of the falloff and the color range depending on how thick an atmosphere sphere you made.

The color choice needs to make sense for the planet, too. For instance, you probably woudn't use blues in a standard picture of Mars.

Let me try to get a picture of the atmosphere settings I used based on Dek's lessons (my link to the tutorial is now giving a page cannot be found).

Here is an attachment with the settings I used for Planetfall (I don't know if its still in the Gallery anymore). Its fairly close to an Earth, just I have more green in it.

As with all things, this needs to be tweaked for your needs. It is from 3DSMax 7.0.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Thanks, that will help alot. I hope Deks tutorial gets fixed.