Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Kerkythea, some questions..

MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
Hi, I've been trying to use Kerkythea (Kerkythea - Home)and I'm facing several problems:
1. When I imported .obj mesh, the entire mesh is clipped on the viewport. I can't find a way to configure the display setting. The clipping doesnt show on the rendered images, but this making camera positioning very difficult since I can view my mesh clearly. You can see the problem in the first image.
2. I've been trying to use Global Illumination and other lighting rig, anyone want to share their lighting technique? :p
The second image is my Teiko dreadnought rendered in Kerkythea using sky color and clay render medium.

Thanks
Post edited by Morpheus on

• AquachromisAquachromis0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi, I had the same issue and posted on the Kerky forums...here's the thread.

Kerkythea Rendering System :: View topic - Gray Plane
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Thats unusual... I've never had that happen before, does it happen all the time?

As for a lighting rig, GI takes a bit to get used to. Most of the time when I render I use Photon Map Medium AA.

Need to make sure you've activated GI in the render setup. I came up with a neat way of doing model WIP shots (realistic clay renders). I can set it up again and post it in awhile.
    Here is a light set up for you. Its basically a sphere turned inside-out with a spotlight aimed straight up.

And this is what it renders like...
    th_GreebleKerky.jpg
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    thats an interesting way of simulating a skylight, doesn't that renderer support some kind of skylighting? how about if you wanted to use an image map to add colour / strength variation to the light?

have you tried setting up the skylight as a regular keylight, then making a flat or a curved reflector on the opposing side of the model to bounce fill light back onto it, you can make a nice lighting effects that way.
    Its a free renderer thats still being developed further.

It can do sky's and things. Although I haven't tested that part of it out fully yet.

Area lights can be created using a plane with a self-illuminated surface, it accomplishes a similar effect but makes for a brutal render time with significant noise.

Ive been using something similar to what you described in my SW thread Coolhand. (sun with an unseen reflector)
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    area lights take an age anyway, it's just how they work compared to point lights, they do look god though. also if there is a dedicated skylight it might well be faster than bouncing a light. anyway for free it's certainly impressive.:)
  • MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
    Ozylot wrote: »
    Thats unusual... I've never had that happen before, does it happen all the time?

As for a lighting rig, GI takes a bit to get used to. Most of the time when I render I use Photon Map Medium AA.

Need to make sure you've activated GI in the render setup. I came up with a neat way of doing model WIP shots (realistic clay renders). I can set it up again and post it in awhile.

I fixed the problem by scaling my model. I wonder if you have to scale your model down with your cruiser model.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to render another scene with your setup :thumb: .
    Ah I see.. Ive never really scaled any of the models I make that big. Probably why I never encountered the clipping.

The light set up should work for you, although you may need to adjust the diffusion on the sphere, or alter the light multiplier in scene settings. It needs adjusting depending on the color of the model.