Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Calculating the volume of a 3d mesh?

DoxsDoxs0 Posts: 0Member
Hello

Just as the title says, do any of you know of a tool to calculate the volume of a 3d mesh?

I dont really care if its an old dirty script, just for as long as it works :D

Regards

/Doxs
Post edited by Doxs on

• biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Length x breadth x height always a good place to start.
  • DoxsDoxs0 Posts: 0Member
    biotech wrote: »

Im afraid that wont help when one has a complex mesh. ;)

So to clarify, it has to be able to handle complex models. If it can approximate, thats ok, but it has to be fairly close.

Regards

/Doxs
  • SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    Depends what purpose you have for the calculation. If you have protrusions etc. it's going to seriously mess up your calculation.

I regularly have to do these calculations for rapid-prototyping - the easiest method is to take a STL export of the mesh and run it through a consistancy checking application - some of which are free as they are often built into STL viewers.

That will give you a volume calculation as they are useful in calculating the amount of material that is required for the rapid-prototyping program.

The one big drawback is that many of these calculations are based upon you having a closed STL mesh - a normal mesh will probably mess up the calculation, if it can be loaded at all.
    Sphynx wrote: »
    Depends what purpose you have for the calculation. If you have protrusions etc. it's going to seriously mess up your calculation.

I regularly have to do these calculations for rapid-prototyping - the easiest method is to take a STL export of the mesh and run it through a consistancy checking application - some of which are free as they are often built into STL viewers.

That will give you a volume calculation as they are useful in calculating the amount of material that is required for the rapid-prototyping program.

The one big drawback is that many of these calculations are based upon you having a closed STL mesh - a normal mesh will probably mess up the calculation, if it can be loaded at all.

Now we are talking, thank you!

A watertight model should be assumed, after all, if its not watertight it will technically not have a volume. I wonder if overlapping will cause problems though? Anyway, Ill give it a go once I get home. Do you have any tips on any free STL viewers?

Regards

/Doxs
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    biotech wrote: »
    lol, not all models are cubes
    IRML wrote: »
    lol, not all models are cubes

Wouldn't that just be width cubed? :p

Doxs:Try the VisCAM viewer here Marcam Engineering
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Sphynx wrote: »
    Wouldn't that just be width cubed? :p

Doxs:Try the VisCAM viewer here Marcam Engineering

Only if all 3 sides were the same length :thumb:
    Er, isn't that the definition of a cube?
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    haven't you looked in the manual? use the measure tool, gives you the volume down to 3 decimal places... Also, you posted in the wrong place, moved.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    haha you're right, cuboid then then :p
    Coolhand wrote: »
    haven't you looked in the manual? use the measure tool, gives you the volume down to 3 decimal places... Also, you posted in the wrong place, moved.

:doh:

Ive used it before, but never noticed I had what I wanted right in front of my eyes. Thanks mate!

Regards

/Doxs
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    np, just make sure you're using it on a closed mesh, otherwise it's not guaranteed to be accurate, or even work at all.
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Just to be complete, Lightwave users can utilize the AreaVolume plug in.
    AreaVolume

There is a simplistic script for Blender as well.
    Calculating the volume of a model - Blender Artists Forums