Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Applying decals in Blender 2.43

tetsujintetsujin0 Posts: 0Member
Hey,

I'm applying decals to my mesh in Blender using an empty to position the graphic, "flat" mapping, with the textures themselves set to "clipcube". So far so good, decal shows up where it's supposed to, the alpha channel of the image is used as I'd hope it'd be, and so on. I like this method as opposed to straight UV because I'm not good at UV mapping yet, and applying the graphic with a planar mapping with position determined by an empty makes it really easy to work with the placement, experiment with different markings, etc.

The problem is that the decal projects through to the back side of the object. I've looked around a bit trying to find a solution to this problem - one tutorial suggested going to the "materials" section, and changing the value of "sizeZ" under the "Map Input" tab for the material to something very small. Sounded like a good idea but it's not working. The only working solution I've learned of so far is to assign a different material to the back side of the object - and make the material on the back side identical to the one on the front side, except without the decal. This works just fine, but it seems like it'd become impractical as a larger number of decals are added.

Is there a bug in Blender 2.43 that's preventing the sizeZ method from working or does the method just not do what the tutorial author thought it did? Any other suggestions?
Post edited by tetsujin on

• nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    I've had that problem.

The solution is to ensure that the texture is set to "clipCube", then go the the EMPTY that you are using to position the decal, and scale the empty's Z axis so it is very small (select Empty, NKey, in the window type in a small number in the "Scale Z" window).

The decal will bleed through or penetrate the object to a depth equal to the Z axis of the empty.

You have to be careful. If the surface you are applying the decal to is curved, and the Z axis of the empty is too short, the decal will only appear on the part of the curved surface that is close enough to the empty ("close enough" being defined as "within a distance equal to the size of the empty's Z axis).
  • tetsujintetsujin0 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, I wouldn't have thought of scaling the empty. Makes sense, though - thanks.