Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DS Max help wanted..I need a step by step tutorial.

sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
Hi guys. Is anyone interested in giving me a little help with putting together a mesh.

I downloaded a trial version of 3DS max. What I want to be able to do is use a mesh of a ship I downloaded from the meshes page and put it into a scene. I have the scene as a JPEG. How do I import the scene into max so I can render?

I tried using the manual to figure this out but it may as well be in Greek as I am totally unversed in 3D software. So I really need a step by step. Maybe someone could walk me through it on Yahoo messenger or something.
Post edited by sorceress21 on

• GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    1) Load the model
    2) [Rendering] --> [Environment]
    3) In Common Parameters --> Environment Map: Click on the button that says 'None'
    4) Choose 'Bitmap' from the list that pops up
    5) Close the Environment window.
    6) [Rendering] --> [Material Editor] (or just hit M on the keyboard)
    7) Find a vacant slot (i.e. one that doesn't have a material for the model on it. They're the bland grey ones), click on the first icon under the previews (Get Material)
    8) In the Material/Map Browser that pops up, change the radio button on the left hand side to 'Scene'
    9) Find a map (little green icon) that says 'Bitmap' and 'Environment' (That's the map you assigned for the environment in step 4
    8) Load the JPG you have. (A file load dialog should pop up automatically, but in case it doesn't just click the button with 'None' next to 'Bitmap:'
    9) Fiddle with the mapping (The very top of the bitmap options). It should be 'Environ' and either Spherical, Cylindrical, Shrinkwrap or Screen. Since you're using a ready made image, I'll assume you'll want to use 'screen'. The others map the image on a giant sphere, cylinder or another kind of sphere respectively.
    10) Once that's done, close the material editor and render. You should have a ship in your scene.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Thank you!! That helped immensely!