Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Help needed with Industrial Steel Texture

-MerlyN--MerlyN-171 Posts: 0Member
Hello folks,
I am supposed to make images of several steel parts for work. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat stuck. I cant get neither the bumpmap nor the reflections right. I've tried several different approaches using max' cell, smoke, dents, noise and mixtures of those maps with standard scanlin/max textures and vray materials but nothing comes even close to the real thing. I've made a photograph so u can see, what I need. I seriously hope anyone can help me. I'm desperate :(

Thx so far,
-MerlyN-
Post edited by -MerlyN- on

• GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    This might help:

CG Education

Just add grime.

--edit-- A couple more tutorials to look at:

3DTotal Tutorial
    3d Tutorial
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • -MerlyN--MerlyN-171 Posts: 0Member
    Thx, Guerrilla. I've had a close look a neil belvin's tuts before. They are quite useful in general but unfortunately not this time. Same with the other tutorials you posted. They are of great help when making brushed aluminium surfaces.
    But they dont give any hints for scratched and bumped steel surfaces. oo

Here is the best I've been able to produce so far. As you can see, it's nothing like the original. The bump and reflection maps just dont look right :(
  • backsteptbackstept2079 Posts: 927Member
    I think I got this from a bunch of textures that Justin posted at Zaon
    maybe you can do something with it . . .
    like use this for diffuse, and edit it for bump and spec
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Thats getting there, but I don't see a need for any bump maps at all. The current render looks like water or something.

Instead I'd use specular maps, as they'll produce a nice glimmer as the light hits the metal. The only thing you could use the bump mapping for are the slight scratches and dings in the metal, but I think that could be better illustrated with a slight grunge map in the specular level or mixed in with the diffuse map.
  • RamielRamiel336 Posts: 0Member
    Try this image for the diffuse...
    metalsheetox6.th.jpg
    And this for the specular level and bump...
    shinesheetzf9.th.jpg
    Hope this helps :)
  • -MerlyN--MerlyN-171 Posts: 0Member
    Thx, guys!

@Ramiel I think ur maps are quite good. made these results with them and a raytraced reflection map with falloff. I think its getting there. Have to tweak the lights a bit, though. Will do that tomorrow.

@gallion311 No, without bumpmap the surface just looks too flat. But thanks anyways :)

@backstept As your maps is nice, too, its producing too brushed looking surfaces. But I might bring it to use in another project. Many thanks for ur help :)