Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

The Confrontation

JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
Xwing_v_TIEs3-resample.jpg
The Death Star model is mine, created with the greeble pack I released recently. The X-Wing and Tie Fighter were obtained from SciFi3D. I did the composition, lighting, compositing, and retouches.
Tagged:

• CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    I like the greeblies themselves, but there's a lot to improve on.

the image overall is lacking contrast, there are no deep shadows on the city sprawl for example. Also it's obvious thats just a block of greebles, you should see it arcing off into the background and i'm pretty you should be able to see the curvature of the death star slightly from that altitude. as a final touch, some window lights on the blocks might be cool.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the crits. I've been trying to figure out how to do the curvature bit. I could use pflow with a sphere as a mesher, or perhaps apply the "spherize" filter in Photoshop with a very low setting. I tried rendering an ortho of the greebles, turning it into a texture and applying it to a sphere, with really really bad results.

Perhaps if one of our resident lighting wizards wanted to fool around with these and see what they can come up with...
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    if you just copied the block into the background it would work. It's more the way horizon ends way too soon than anything. otherwise you could shoot from lower down and bring the angle up. I'm pretty sure they just used a flat block of city in the film, but they shot it carefully to sell the illusion and used mattes to extend it where needed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
    Nice work Jedilaw.
  • it?s okay