Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DS Max 8 filling virtual memory

TheCoredumpTheCoredump0 Posts: 0Member
Hello all
I haven't post for a while, only some "Cool", "I like it" or "Very nice" :D

But today I have a strange problem with Max :
After a little time of work I have some slow down, CPU at maximum and max freezed. After some time the hard drive become very buzy and finally a cool 'virtual memory full' message box popup.

I have 1Go of RAM and 1,5Go of virtual memory, and the current model don't have more than 5000 faces.

Does anybody know what happen and how I could resolve this horrible issue ?
Post edited by TheCoredump on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    you need to turn up your virtual memory, were you rendering or just in the viewport?
  • 1of331of330 Posts: 0Member
    make your virtual memory 3gig and that should resolve your memory issues
    also defag your hard drive as that could be causing some of your issuses
    also it is a good idea to have your virtual memory on another drive than the one you have your OS on
  • TheCoredumpTheCoredump0 Posts: 0Member
    I will try all of it and keep you inform, thanks
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    I have my virtual memory set to 3.5gb minmum and 5.5gb max with 1.5gb ram and I've never had a problem but I also have a 250gb SATA drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I Put 2 Gig per Hard drive (4 Gig Total)
  • EoraptorEoraptor1 Posts: 0Member
    Quick Rules to Virtual Memory in Windows

1.) Should always be 2.5 times your physical (or ram) memory.
    2.) Should always be on your fastest drive (IE; if you have one 5200 rpm, one 7200 rpm, and one 10,000 RPM, you should try to put it on your 10,000 RPM drive.
    3.) use a ram recovery program such as freeramXP to forcibly clear your cache of unused DLL's and calls from time to time in order to maximize efficiency.
  • Chris VickersChris Vickers0 Posts: 0Member
    I can't get a copy of 3ds Max without having to shell out more than I have left at the end of a pay period, and my copy hasn't worked since the computer crash I suffered in October, so I'm stuck with GMax.
  • TheCoredumpTheCoredump0 Posts: 0Member
    No more luck, fresh Window XP install, 3 Go of memory and still the same problem :(
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix0 Posts: 0Member
    I get this when I really load a scene. I was actually about to post a question regarding this but different enough that it doesn't fit here.

With just 5000 faces, I can't tell what you might have going on. However, I did discover once, when rendering a volumetric cloudy object, that my computer would just grind to a halt. The reason was that I had been using additive filtering on a facing particle system. Right about the time the renderer hit the cloud with lights behind it, everything would freeze up. I suspect it didn't really freeze but it would have taken days to finish. What I ended up doing, (I think, because it was over a year ago), was to tell the lights to ignore the particle system (exluded them from illumination and shadows). Then all worked normally. They weren't near enough to the cloud to cause an effect anyway, so it didn't matter.