Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Giant Sun: ST Voyager Opening Credits

weaselandalfweaselandalf0 Posts: 0Member
Hi guys,

Can anyone offer any good advice (or even a tutorial) on how to create the sun from the opening credits of Star Trek Voyager? I'm using blender.

So far I've tried doing clever stuff with halos and particles, but I've not produced anything remotely similar to what I'm aiming for...

(I would have posted what I had, but it was more of a waste of web space the Will Wheaton's resume.),
Can anyone help in any way? My thanks in advance. :confused:
Post edited by weaselandalf on

• PTKSPTKS0 Posts: 0Member
    Do you want to do an animation or just a still image? I think that those bursts from the sun could best be achieved by using particles but I don't know how to do it.
  • weaselandalfweaselandalf0 Posts: 0Member
    My thoughts exactly. I want to do an animation. I thought I'd create the sun and then using the same texture, create a wave of animated particles for those gorgeous solar flares coming out.
  • ns_exilens_exile171 Posts: 0Member
    Have you had a look at this?

The Battle Zone!

This shows how to get the textures/halo down, don't think he mentions anything about the flare that Voyager flies through but this may be enough to get you going...
  • weaselandalfweaselandalf0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, I'm reading the tutorial now.

Here's an idea of the problem:

Attachment not found.
    The sun I currently have

Attachment not found.
    The better sun, I'll soon have

Attachment not found.
    The sun I want
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    BTW: you know you'd properly only have to build a quarter of the sun seeing that we only see a little bit in the credits? (eg: only build what your going to see .... ) Besides, with only a quarter of the whole thing you can make it real hi-poly and detailed. Just a thought.

Other than that, really hot sun/model! :thumb:

.... what? :shiner:
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I'm pretty sure that was done in an old version of LW like 12 or more years ago now, so you should probably be able to do it
  • digidamndigidamn171 Posts: 0Member
    Check out the new issue of BlenderArt Magazine it has a tutorial for this.

BlenderArt Magazine
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    it was done in LW 5.6 with particles. I think it was hypervoxels 1.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class