Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Mapping Question

TveakkTveakk0 Posts: 0Member
hei,

well im new at UV mapping and i wondered, do u Map the model when its smooth, or u could also map it in low poly version?
Post edited by Tveakk on

• ZabieglyZabiegly176 Posts: 0Member
    You map the low-poly version as that obviously is a lot easier as there are far less polygons to map. Then you apply the meshsmooth modifier.

Acutally it doesn't matter if you apply meshsmooth first and then map it or the other way round. UV-maps always relate to the low poly mesh. The only thing you need to remember is not to collapse the stack when you applied meshsmooth. As that will "bake" the meshsmooth in the mesh and you'll loose your low-poly one.

BTW as you've got Cinema4d as your 2nd app - it's the same there. UV-map the low poly mesh and do not convert the Hyper-NURBS so you keep the low poly cage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Since you are using Max do yourself a favor and grab Chuggnut's UV tools unwraptols
  • ZabieglyZabiegly176 Posts: 0Member
    I think the inbuilt max uv-unwrap tools are actually quite good. Especiall in Max9 where pelt-mapping was introduced.
    Suit yourself Zabiegly. Chuggnut's unwrap tools simply add more functionality to existing uv tools and bring some extra cool stuff like aligning and spacing that makes UV layout easier for me. It's one of the first scripts I grab when setting up my workstation.

By the way, Max 8 has pelt mapping too. I'm not sure, but I think Autodesk released it to subscribers mid Max 7.
    I'd also say, try to make your uv as simple as possible and avoid seams, whereever possible. eases up texturing later.