Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Maya 8 question

ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
I have access to Maya 8 which I use for mesh conversions (or did) but this latest version doesn't give me the option of exporting to .obj; .max as did the older version. Is there a plugin for that purpose? I tried exporting to dxf and then loading that file into MAX. BZZZZT!

Can you tell I don't know diddly about Maya?:confused:
Post edited by Elowan on

• gonk droidgonk droid0 Posts: 0Member
    window/settings & preferences/plug-in manager

scroll down to objExport.mll

tick off the loaded option
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    Open Maya and select Window > Settings/Preferences > Plug-in Manager.

objExport does not export OBJ formatted curves, surfaces, smoothing groups, or point group materials. It also does not support NURBS. Use the MayaToAlias plug-in for scenes that contain NURBS surfaces.
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    Curses, you beat me to it, Gonk Droid. I shall have my revenge! Have a cookie.
    it's my jedi-like reflexes.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    gonk droid wrote: »
    window/settings & preferences/plug-in manager

scroll down to objExport.mll

tick off the loaded option

Du'oh! Thnx:thumb:
    D.M.J. wrote: »

objExport does not export OBJ formatted curves, surfaces, smoothing groups, or point group materials. It also does not support NURBS. Use the MayaToAlias plug-in for scenes that contain NURBS surfaces.

G'dye? That is -- where do I find said plugin?:)
    I appreciate your help. What I don't appreciate is Maya's (apparently new) inability to export a complete mesh in formats other than ige or whatever.

Oh well. DE can't do it either even with Maya on board.
  • LennOLennO5 Posts: 0Member
    Elowan wrote: »
    I appreciate your help. What I don't appreciate is Maya's (apparently new) inability to export a complete mesh in formats other than ige or whatever.

huh? Sure it doesA…export plugins pretty much haven't changed since v1 or 2, except for newly added formats.
    LennO wrote: »
    huh? Sure it doesA…export plugins pretty much haven't changed since v1 or 2, except for newly added formats.

The latter plugin doesn't do it either. As I said - I'm a Maya Doofus.
    use the modify/convert option to make your scene all polys

load the objExport.mll option in the plug-in manager

then choose file/export - click the little option box to specify grouping and to make sure you're in the right format

that should be it.
    gonk droid wrote: »
    use the modify/convert option to make your scene all polys

load the objExport.mll option in the plug-in manager

then choose file/export - click the little option box to specify grouping and to make sure you're in the right format

that should be it.

Ah so! Many thnx.:cool:

That seems to have done it,