Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D S/Ware for a Noob? Need advice.

KiwiKidKiwiKid0 Posts: 0Member
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I'm a noob as far as 3d Modeling goes - came from a 2D Autocad background, but being unaffordable outside a commercial environment I've been using Turbocad 11 for my 2D stuff. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of current documentation for it, or tutorials - especially to describe 3D.

Being a physical modeler (mostly Plastic and resin) I wish to create things in a virtual format for reference.

So I need some advice on software. I've been exploring Blender and following through some tutorials. It's been fun, but it seems like a funny way to build things by using cubes and modifying them. Is this the way other s/ware packages do thing? There seem such a lot of them. I don't mind spending money for the right package.

Your thoughts please - Thx :)
Post edited by KiwiKid on

• Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    My thoughts would be to explore other packages by downloading trial versions.

Here's a previous thread on the subject: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/135674-post2.html
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    It realy depends on what you are looking to spend and what kind of work your going to be doing with the program if your gonna use just the modler and not the animator i would say Max or LW. Now if you want it for animation i would say LW or Cinema 4D.

But if cost is the biggest factor then i would say look round till you find some thing you like in your price range.
  • tetsujintetsujin0 Posts: 0Member
    KiwiKid wrote: »
    Being a physical modeler (mostly Plastic and resin) I wish to create things in a virtual format for reference.

Interesting. Me too! That's actually about 9/10 of the reason I learned mesh modeling. I wanted to learn mesh modeling anyway, but the tie to my actual modeling projects was the catalyst. May I ask what you build?

I think for the most part I need to leave your main question up to those much more experienced than myself. FWIW my first significant experience with 3-D mesh modeling has all been with Blender, and I've gotten pretty far in the learning process. I don't think I've every built anything by starting with a cube and cutting it up. :) I've even used my Blender model as a template for building some physical parts using the "unfolder" script. But I have to be realistic about the limitations and shortcomings of the package - so I won't be pushing Blender as the solution to your problem if you think it's not. I'd actually be really interested to see what people have to say about this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Always good to see more NZer's getting into 3D :)

As for what app, it all comes down to what you want to use it for and how much you are willing to spend. If you dont mind spending a bit of cash then the top professional programs are Lightwave, Cinema 4D, 3DS MAX, Maya and XSI. From what I've heard Maya wouldn't be good for a newbie to 3D and after briefly looking into MAX I'd say that's probably not the best way to go for a noob either and I don't know much about XSI.
    If your only going to be using it for modelling then modo is also very good.

If you think you'll stick with free apps for now, have a look at Wings 3D, it's also a very good program.

And as for just building stuff from boxes have a look at spline modelling

For professional 3D apps the most newbie friendly I would say would be Cinema 4D and Lightwave.

Hope some of this helps :)
  • SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    KiwiKid wrote: »
    ...It's been fun, but it seems like a funny way to build things by using cubes and modifying them. Is this the way other s/ware packages do thing?...

This method of polygon modeling is pretty much typical - the essential part of this is that you are using a primitive (not just a cube, but lots of different primitive possibilities). Even if you were sub-surface modelling, spline or nurbs modelling, you'd still be starting off with the most primitive form of that modelling type, then modifying it to your needs*.

If you think about it, it's also not so funny from your own perspective of being a physical modeller - you carve from blocks of wood, form flat sheets of plastic, create frames from metal and plastic spurs - all of which exist in Blender (and the other applications) as primitve types in exactly the same way.

The best way to approach this from the point of view of a newcommer to the world of CGI modelling, is to get as many cheap / free versions as possible (there are plenty of the commercial apps that have trial versions) and see what is best for your style, but most importantly whether the entire CGI modelling scene is right for you at all - it isn't for many people.

Other than something like Blender, regardless of which application you buy its still a waste of money if you ultimately decide that you are not a CGI modeller. :thumb:

*Another option, which I know exists in both LW and Blender, is to create verticies and then link them using lines and they polygons. This is the long route however, which is better combined with modified primitives anyway to get you started.
  • yellowmoonyellowmoon0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello -first post here!
    Have you tried AC3D at all? I know they have a free trial and is about $70 to buy. I got to grips with it pretty quickly. Here's their gallery....
    www.inivis.com - AC3D - 3D Design Software
  • KiwiKidKiwiKid0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry to be so long in replying (like a lot of you here I bet) time is limited. Hello to all the other Kiwi's here (not sure how many)

There are some really good suggestions and I'll follow them all up. I have been using Sketchup lately (don't laugh) its a really capable package for a noob and I built a house in 3d very quickly. Time is always the major factor trying to learn things that are really only for a hobby. I only have an old 700Mhz P3, so it's not very fast. Like trying to learn anything new, it's gets real frustrating :mad: - most of the time is spent just trying to find the info I need to carry out a small step. I'll get there I suppose. Still want to get some ref material up and happening.

By the way, I model SciFi.
  • DeadlyDarknessDeadlyDarkness0 Posts: 0Member
    I used to use Truespace. I got version 2 nearly 10 years ago off a magazine cover, and it ran nicely on a p133 with an awesome 32 megs of ram and 'enhanced SVGA graphics'. Then I got version 3.2, which was really great. Its free to download, just search 'Truespace 3.2 free download' (if it wasn't obvious enough :p). The interface is clear and simple, and all options can be seen by right clicking the buttons. I'd suggest that if you are starting out.
  • KiwiKidKiwiKid0 Posts: 0Member
    Another good punt in the right direction. I've been thinking about a lot of the things stated here - especially what Pyrocitor and Fluxfire said about the use of it.
    It reminded me of a time several years ago when I went back to school for a while. I used my student ID to get academic versions (cheap) of lots of SWare packages I wanted. I hardly used them and ended up having little time to focus on them, so they remain sitting on my HD mostly unused. Also, it's difficult to justify the expense of a 3D package for what I want to achieve - different if its used in a commerical environment and you can recoup the expenditure - but for a hobby it seems excessive (I can buy a lot of models for the money some of these packages go for ;) ).
    So I guess the advice I am looking for has been supplied and there are still all these packages to pursue to see where I go from here. Thx a lot - KiwiKid