Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

DirectX Meshes

ryaneryane0 Posts: 0Member
First off, I'm not a modeler, I'm a programmer, and currently I am taking a basic game design class. While the focus is on mechanics and code and not modeling and art in any way, I still like to try and use the best things I can find.

That being said, my next assignment is a sort of space simulator/fighter application. I am doing everything in directx right now and have only used *.x files for my meshes. I've been trying to convert meshes made in other apps to *.x format, but am not having any luck.

So far I have tried 3D Studio Max with the Pandasoft plugin, which creates a mesh file that looks like it should work(the text file looks like a normal .x file), but I always get a "Failed to load model" error in the DirectX Viewer. I also tried a program called NuGraf by Okino, which somewhat works. It gives me errors when exporting, but does create a mesh that will load. The problem is that I lose all textures (I think is part of the error when I export), it deletes every 5th polygon, and a number of other nasty limitations on the trial version (small, watermark, etc).

Other than that I haven't been able to find much online. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or at least a direction I could be pointed in. I'm going to start researching using other mesh formats in directX tonight. This project hasn't even been assigned yet, but I've been trying to get some legwork done early so I can make a program that is somewhat worth playing.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Post edited by ryane on

• Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    I think you're probably going to have more luck posting this on a games related forum, since most people here will want to get the models from games into 3D Applications and not vice versa.
  • DeadlyDarknessDeadlyDarkness0 Posts: 0Member
    I'd suggest Milkshape 3d, has a good DX exporter, includes animation/bone support too. Check chUmbaLum sOft . Costs $30, a bargain really for such a good program. I did a bit of programming in dark basic at a casual level, and they worked fine. 30 day trial also.
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    i have used exactly what you have said with the application blender

the book recommended milkshape, it was a thomson directx coding game book, but i didnt have any cash to get milkshape...i already had blender and used it alot...

i used blender to make my model, including Texturing it, and exported it into a dx format...the directx viewer saw all my models, including textures, also bone support and all the goodies for rigging...

even used blender with the torque engine and directx for a few to make a simple mechwarrior game with the vulture

blender is well free, and very powerfull, has its own game engine integrated into the modeler (very good one at that), and you could once you finish your class put what you learned into the game engine...

learning curve is about the same for any app, although i find it much easier to move and manipulate things in blender compared to say lightwave...

my game was a simple level that was a series of hallways, all my models exported clean and very nice every single time, make sure your normals are facing the right way and wam bam thank you mam a free modeler exporter at your service...and it will import 3ds files as well (and even clean them up half the time)....

goodluck enjoy, if you dont use blender, well i wish you the best of luck for i really dont know any other app for 3d modeling as well as i know blender...
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    I would recommend wings3D Its free, and simple to use. It can directly model and texture .x files. Very quick learning curve too.
  • ryaneryane0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the replies so far. Maybe I need to clarify something - I have absolutely no experience modeling at all. I'm not really looking to learn how to model. This class is over by the middle of March (not to mention I'll also have finals from my other 6 classes). What I am trying to do is use some of the really great meshes that are available for download on this site. They are in various formats, and I need to get them into directx's .x format.

I did talk to someone at my school (another student) who does have some modeling experience and he looked at the models I was trying to use and pointed out that the main problem is that these models are much too complex for PandaSoft - that they are models for still images, not 3d games. They would pretty much turn the whole thing into a really slow slide show if I even was able to get them to work.

So it seems that if I can find a way to strip some of these models down into much lower polygon, simpler models, then they should work. However, I have no idea if that is possible or not. My plan right now is to see if I can find out if this is possible or not, maybe from a game coding forum as was suggested, and to see if I can just find some simpler models to use.

Hopefully I can figure something out... I want Vipers defending Galactica from an X-Wing assault, or perhaps Draconian Mauraders vs Starship Voyager! ;)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9830 Posts: 5,332Member
    1 most meshes out there DO NOT allow conversions. You need to contact the original artists.
    2 IMPORTANT um games have you looked at meshes made specificly for games?? Many of these modelers will allow more to be done with their models. Some still require contact befor doing conversions (read the txt or distro page it should state use) Try looking for models for Bridge commander or other ship based games. Most of these ppl model in max gmax and use the afore mentioned milkshape 3d.
    Not to mentionsome of these game meshes are quite good looking with all the proper maps etc on em.

The larger meshes are often using methods the other formats will puke on IE quatd tris pents as well as open faces etc. This often causes these exporters to puke bricks.

I also suggest you hit up some of the 3dgaming modeling boards out there. They are more skilled at conversions. And often have entire tuts on how to do things or fix known issues.

to note I have seen viper meshes Galactica HL bab5 and quite a few SW meshes for BC and a few other trek based games.

Bridge Commander, Bridge Commander Downloads - FileFront.com
    url that hosts stuff just follow the use rules.
    I think there are a few other games with better engines thus sometimes better models as well google around and you should runinto them.

I cannot find the bbs links the system that had the links is "having issues"
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    ryane wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far. Maybe I need to clarify something - I have absolutely no experience modeling at all. I'm not really looking to learn how to model. This class is over by the middle of March (not to mention I'll also have finals from my other 6 classes). What I am trying to do is use some of the really great meshes that are available for download on this site. They are in various formats, and I need to get them into directx's .x format.

I did talk to someone at my school (another student) who does have some modeling experience and he looked at the models I was trying to use and pointed out that the main problem is that these models are much too complex for PandaSoft - that they are models for still images, not 3d games. They would pretty much turn the whole thing into a really slow slide show if I even was able to get them to work.

So it seems that if I can find a way to strip some of these models down into much lower polygon, simpler models, then they should work. However, I have no idea if that is possible or not. My plan right now is to see if I can find out if this is possible or not, maybe from a game coding forum as was suggested, and to see if I can just find some simpler models to use.

Hopefully I can figure something out... I want Vipers defending Galactica from an X-Wing assault, or perhaps Draconian Mauraders vs Starship Voyager! ;)

at some point though unfortunately you will have to model or at least 'fix' models...

most models are modeled by using a double surface feature, meaning you dont have to worry about normals. As such some models you will find have normals that are not facing the correct way...

Since i recommended blender as your app of choice since i have used it very much.

there are models over at the blender model repository, that are already textured (meaning the normals are facing the right way) and the models are in very decent poly count.

when using the torque game engine for my push into 3d gaming, i was able to model a Vulture Mech at about 15k polys (including the missles in the launch tubes '40 count') the reason why i mention that, is because at 15k for such a mech it was considered very high poly for a game model, most mechs in similar fan made games or game scenes were no more than 2k poly count...but with the torque game engine, i was able to maintain a solid 40fps, with 25 of my mechs on the landscape...

in the blender model repository, there are xwings, star trek models, all in all a darn darn good number of models that you are looking for, at a reasonable poly count...they are all FREE :D...

all you would do is download and install the very small blender3d program, import the models (small tutorial will be needed as blender offers two ways to do this) size the models in your scene, and then export the models into a .x format, and of course they retain the textures and file paths inside the .x format when you export....

as mentioned i have used the directx viewer before with blender and know for a fact it works very sweet and very easy...

damn sorry for long posts, but its abit late and well im bored trying to get new ideas for my model

oh yea just for fun here is a link to the blender model repository, so you can peak around and see if you like what you see...

Star Trek models although some high poly, damn good low polys in there too, over 25 models in all...
    Star Trek: Blender:: Meshes

Another Great Site For Starwars babylon 5 and more meshes, this is a direct link to the model section, but the blenderwars site is a fun site
    Blenderwars - Freeware Powered Filmmaking - Models

Huge libarary of every day models like doors etc, but still a great place for model stuff..
    3D Models - Kator Legaz