Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Particle Limit ?

RoninRonin0 Posts: 0Member
hi,

i just tried around with Particles.

First i did grass with texture & alpha, then i changed to particles, because texture/alpha takes a load of performance when changing the scene and is not flexible.

The particle-System has a limit of 100.000 Particles per emitter (or at least, i can't increase the Number beyond that), what is not enough for more than a small garden ^^. For my scene i duplicated the emitter and changed the seed. so i got around 300.000 Particles.

am i doing something wrong ? when i think of a haired creature or like that, duplicating the emitter seams not to be the best way.

i'll try to upload my Settings / Screenshot with settings this afternoon (german-time),

thanks
Post edited by Ronin on

• Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, see first thing is we don't all use the same programme, so you really should tell us what programme you are using.

Also why would you be using particles to create grass or fur?
  • SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    Actually, he attached the Blender icon to his thread, and historically Ronin is known as a Blender user - it would help if all members who post questions however, do state the application that they want help with in the post as well, just for clarity. :)

The thing is Ronin, that if you want to use particles on that scale, you are going to run into problems - you are going to have a large number of static particles bringing your PC to a halt in its calculations. You are better off re-arranging your scene so that you only need sufficient particles to do the job at hand, rather than filling the entire thing.

In regards to fur and such-like, you will normally find that different body components are different emitters anyway, so the limits are not as constraining as you'd think.

Id suggest for grasslands however, if you want a dense effect, you really need to look at an alternate, or at least a mixed option rather than filling a scene with the required number of particles to do the job. Look at particles for close-up shots, and maps or special textures for mid to distant areas. Do a search on Blender Nation and Blender Artists - there were some good grass textures there that do the job without needing so many particles.
  • RoninRonin0 Posts: 0Member
    as i wrote, at first, i used textures based on a tutorial i found. But it went nearly un-edittable.

Textured

Particle (around 180.000 on three Emitters)

maybe there is a tutorial showing how to do this without duplicating the Textured Plane hundreds of times. As well, it should not be fixed to one camera Perspektive and usable with an often changed or extended Landscape

Particles seamed to be the best way. Would be very nice if anyone has information how to improve my technics.

thanks
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    Ronin wrote: »
    as i wrote, at first, i used textures based on a tutorial i found. But it went nearly un-edittable.

Textured

Particle (around 180.000 on three Emitters)

maybe there is a tutorial showing how to do this without duplicating the Textured Plane hundreds of times. As well, it should not be fixed to one camera Perspektive and usable with an often changed or extended Landscape

Particles seamed to be the best way. Would be very nice if anyone has information how to improve my technics.

thanks

there is a tutorial about creating fur...the same technique can be used for grass...the tutorial looks like a furry pink ball sorry I am at work so cant link you to it...
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    try with particule flow