Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Maya vs Lightwave

DracoJesiDracoJesi0 Posts: 0Member
I am trying to decide on which, I'm about the features and abilities of each, which has the more powerful rendering ability and which is the most compatible with various file type, which has the most options, looking at both I like what I see, however it seems to me, that at first galnce their not much different, I want a program that can open and render virtually anything I can through at it.

for those of you who use both, which has the better user interface?

I was thinking of Studio Max, however I've heard it has some bugs, and takes up more resources than it should.

see this thread:
The Trek BBS: Maya VS Lightwave
Post edited by DracoJesi on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I havn't used Maya but I have used Lightwave and Cinema 4D

I know alot of people that use maya and from what I hear maya (although more expensive) is alot better than lightwave.
    Have you checked out Ciname 4D, it's easy to use, can open alot of file formats, and has an incredible renderer, and runs on low spec machines, which is good for me :)
  • SprySpry0 Posts: 0Member
    I beg to differ. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Maya IS more expensive, and with LW 9 about to be released and NewTek offering some very cheap and affordable upgrade deals, there has never been a better time to buy LW.

That said BOTH programs are used extensively in TV and Film. LW separates its Modelling and Rendering utilities into two seperate Programs called 'Modeler and 'Layout'. Maya's interface is all in one. Some say LW is more streamlined, and others say its unnecessary. However upon first inspection UI's like Maya's and MAX's can be daunting and extremely confusing.

You're best to look at screenshots to see what you think looks more intuitive to you.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    LW9 is out....LW 9.2 is about to be released.....

As for the split app thing, that's also changing.

M
  • kadenkaden800 JapanPosts: 219Member
    i prefer lightwaves split app. its a lot less crowded than maya.

I used maya through out my animation diploma course and i like its animation suite, although i prefer modelling in lightwave and rendering in lightwave, most production houses will use both in their pipelines, modelling and texturing with lightwave, animating in maya then bringing it back into lightwave for rendering.

its not a matter of which is better though, its which program do you think will be of more use to you.

edit: dont buy that crap "oh but gollum was made in maya" the major production houes use their own custom software for animating and modelling
    mattc wrote: »
    LW9 is out....LW 9.2 is about to be released.....

As for the split app thing, that's also changing.

M

Oh, so they are intergrating it now? :confused:
    NT has implemented meshedit.dll (the modelling part of modeler) within layout. What remains to be done is the point/poly/edge selection in layout and some other things. BUt any modeler plugin that works with a full model (i.e object based) works without issue in layout.

UI changes are slated for LW 10.0..which I suspect will turn up in 2008.

M.
  • NateDawgNateDawg0 Posts: 0Member
    Just seeing the improvements from LW 7 to 8 to 9, I'm curious to see what will happen with LW 10! Should be pretty cool! :D As far as the Maya/LightWave thing, you can get a demo version of each. Get "Maya PLE" from Autodesk or get "LightWave Discovery Edition" from NewTek. LightWave costs about $800 (or less if you get a competitive upgrade). Maya's stripped down version is $2,000. Maya Unlimited costs $7,000. Honestly, I don't think that the difference in power between the two is worth $1,200, but, it really depends on what you're using it for.
  • DracoJesiDracoJesi0 Posts: 0Member
    well were can I find screen-shots?

is there any place that lists what files each can open?
    Google

For all your screenshot needs.
  • ZardozZardoz2 Posts: 0Member
    Spry wrote: »
    However upon first inspection UI's like Maya's and MAX's can be daunting and extremely confusing.

Ummm.... for my MAX is easy to use. Perhaps i too habit to MAX, thanks that i begin which 3d Studio R2 (I think that i have yet in 5" floppys! :devil: ) when i had five or six years and i didn't get a big jump from these UI to 3d Max 2.5 UI.

I tried to change of program (yes, the MAX eats a lot of power of your PC) trying other programs, but i not end to understand these UIs. Like i said, i get too habit in the 3d max, and the UIs that not are similar, get for my more complicated to use. :(
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    don't be fooled by all the people at CGTalk with their ritual worship of maya, a good artist could do anything he sees done in maya with LW, and with dynamite now who needs maya fluids, that's just the animation side too, modelling in LW is miles better, and it's cheaper
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    well you know the saying:
    In a fight between Batman and Darth Vader, the winner would be Chuck Norris.

well that was for me....MAx won....although in your case..i would go with lightwave...god as any an a lot more cheaper! and excelenet rendering engine!
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Maya is great if you're planning to integrate with MAX and AutoCAD models and files, or want to code up a proprietary render engine or animation system- it's extremely versatile and endlessly adaptable- a lot of production studios use Maya purely because they can strip it down and bolt bits on thats unique to them, but thats a career in itself. Lightwave is a very competitive complete modelling, animating and rendering app at a very reasonable price, and benefits from plenty of consumer support- i.e meshes, textures and plugins freely available. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    NT now has a demo version of 9.0 available....

LightWaveAR - Go Ahead, Make A Scene
    I haven't seen the standard advice in here yet.

Download both demos, give them a go, buy the one you like most. For feature comparisons, both companies (NewTek and Autodesk, is it?) should be able to give you full information if you ask them.
    google isn't so great and must of the time i won't know which version I'm looking at :/
    Samurai wrote: »
    Maya is great if you're planning to integrate with MAX and AutoCAD models and files, or want to code up a proprietary render engine or animation system- it's extremely versatile and endlessly adaptable- a lot of production studios use Maya purely because they can strip it down and bolt bits on thats unique to them, but thats a career in itself. Lightwave is a very competitive complete modelling, animating and rendering app at a very reasonable price, and benefits from plenty of consumer support- i.e meshes, textures and plugins freely available. :)

thanks for the info

are there any online manuals? they might answer my questions lol
    not really. NewTek do have PDF Manuals for their products, but you've gotta be a registered user to get them- that said, you might be able to access them by registering for the demo. I dont know at all about Maya. :)
  • Countdown5Countdown5363 Posts: 72Member
    I use both Maya and Cinema and played with Lightwave. I think Maya renders better then Lightwave, but its a pain in the butt to learn.
  • AinurAinur1 Posts: 0Member
    I'm a 3DS Max to LW convert, only dabbled a bit in the PLE Maya. I never fully wrapped my head around trying to model in Maya. Lightwave has a very nice system that I have settled myself into and am very comfortable with. My mind works like it does, usually. As far as UI goes LW wins the battle for me hands down. Maya has too many buttons and they are all cluttered together in a frenzy of crazy, so figuring stuff out for yourself is hindered.

As for power I would say you can get the same out of both of them if you know what you're doing, so that really isn't a big issue for picking one or the other.

Also, not that it really matters for much technically but LW is much easier on the eyes than Maya, which I think looks like a remnant of Windows 95. :)
  • U.S.S. WINGERU.S.S. WINGER0 Posts: 0Member
    Lightwave Is Free Software Or Download?
    DracoJesi wrote: »
    google isn't so great and must of the time i won't know which version I'm looking at :/

?

LightWave link was posted earlier I think, but here it is again. Trial version is available from that page.

Maya is now owned by Autodesk, here. Again, trial version and feature lists are available from that page.

Both are presumably showing the versions they're selling, the most recent ones. Ask the companies directly about features via email (make their sales teams work for it!) and try the demos.
    Lightwave Is Free Software Or Download?

It has a freely downloadable demo but is commercial software.
    hmm, well I find myself making a hard decision, I'm not worried about which is harder to learn, that just means more effort on my part, but assuming I choose one, are there any books/guilds to either?

is it to much to ask for someone here to try and see what files they can open with each?

I my biggest concern is that I'll spend all this money and then wab't to be able to do something I can't :/

what about plugins, is it possible to write your own, like firefox? if so then isn't it possible to solve any problems via plug-in?
    LW has an excellent set of books available. Foremost is Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave series which really is excellent. Inside LW 9 deals with LW 9.2 so it's right up to date. There is alaos a vareity of DVD trainin material for each as well from Gnomon, 3DGarage and others.

Both apps are heavily supported by plugins. Both allow you to write plugins with their respective SDK's. The LW free plugin community is quite amazing. Then there's Fprime.....and well, that is reason alone for using LW IMHO.

As for Maya being a better render....sure, if you've got TD's to write shaders and stuff for mental ray, otherwise...no way.

EDIT: I would add that NT has addressed a lot of the issues with the renderer with the 9.2 point release. The next point release will see the texture filtering pipeline addressed amongst other things. Admittedly, NT dropped the ball quite badly after the release of 7.5 and the loss of 95% ofn their dev staff, but the 9.x development cycle has really started to rectify most if not all the shortcomings of LW. There was a time when LW led the pack for features and hopefully we're starting to see it get back there.

After all, kids, it is the reason that most of us are here isn't it......

Personally, I think it's all Ron's fault....once I saw B5, that was it :)

Regards
    Matt
    mattc wrote: »
    LW has an excellent set of books available. Foremost is Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave series which really is excellent. Inside LW 9 deals with LW 9.2 so it's right up to date. There is alaos a vareity of DVD trainin material for each as well from Gnomon, 3DGarage and others.

Both apps are heavily supported by plugins. Both allow you to write plugins with their respective SDK's. The LW free plugin community is quite amazing. Then there's Fprime.....and well, that is reason alone for using LW IMHO.

As for Maya being a better render....sure, if you've got TD's to write shaders and stuff for mental ray, otherwise...no way.

EDIT: I would add that NT has addressed a lot of the issues with the renderer with the 9.2 point release. The next point release will see the texture filtering pipeline addressed amongst other things. Admittedly, NT dropped the ball quite badly after the release of 7.5 and the loss of 95% ofn their dev staff, but the 9.x development cycle has really started to rectify most if not all the shortcomings of LW. There was a time when LW led the pack for features and hopefully we're starting to see it get back there.

After all, kids, it is the reason that most of us are here isn't it......

Personally, I think it's all Ron's fault....once I saw B5, that was it :)

Regards
    Matt

SDK's?
    TD's?

I've been looking at screenshots yet I'm not sure which vs i'm looking at.

from what I can see, Maya is layed out like Dreamweaver, which is a plus, however Lightwave seems to have a better visual style,

not that it would realy alter the outcome, are there skins for Maya?
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    TD is technical director I think, SDK would be software development kit
    IRML wrote: »
    TD is technical director I think, SDK would be software development kit

Correct.

The LW SDK for Lscript and C provides you with information, headers, tutorials on how to write and compile plugins for LW.

Maya has the same thing.

M.
    There is also the small matter of Maya costing about four times what LW costs.

If you have the money to burn, then that may not be a consideration, but just thinking about it for a moment, you could get a top-end computer *and* LW 9.0 (soon to be 9.2) for the price of Maya. Unless we're talking about Maya Unlimited, in which case you can have LW, a new PC *and* a small car. :shiner:
    Samurai wrote: »
    There is also the small matter of Maya costing about four times what LW costs.

If you have the money to burn, then that may not be a consideration, but just thinking about it for a moment, you could get a top-end computer *and* LW 9.0 (soon to be 9.2) for the price of Maya. Unless we're talking about Maya Unlimited, in which case you can have LW, a new PC *and* a small car. :shiner:

um no, unlimited is 7k, thats a lot but a small car is like 4-5k alone, plus 2k for lightwave, thats a low end pc lol