Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Starship Enterprise screwy textures

ghallghall0 Posts: 0Member
Okay, so I downloaded this model, and got it loaded into my favorite 3D app (Carrara 5) with no problems.....except for the textures. The textures are a mess. They are all twisted and distorted. Any help would be appreciated.

For more info, go here.

EDIT: I have also noticed that the model is semi-transparent when rendered.
Post edited by ghall on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    You need to UV map it to fix the textures, I don't know about the transparency. Since it's an import of a .cob mesh, instead of whatever format Carrara uses, it probably jacked up the UV mapping.
  • ghallghall0 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm. Finally had some time to play around with the model. I tried out a demo of PolyTrans. I exported the model as a 3DS file, and the textures and everything came out fine, except for the fact that the mesh is now all screwed up, because of the demo erasing every 5th polygon of an exported model. Fix one problem, a new one presents itself. Oh the pain...

Even if I had the $400 for this freaking program, there's no way I'd dish it out just to convert a model of the starship Enterprise.

Anyone happen to have PolyTrans or some other 3d conversion program, and could convert this thing for me?
    I'm having some trouble with the UV mapping. To give you an idea, I some images:

Picture1-3.jpg

The Original COB model imported into Carrara, and most of the textures coaxed into working.

HoleyEnterprise.jpg
    The COB model converted to 3DS in a demo version of PolyTrans, and imported into Carrara. The textures are PERFECT, but every 5th polygon has been deleted, because of PolyTrans demo limitations.
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    Have you tried deep exploration by right hemisphere instead?

I believe it's a fully functional 30 day trial, and if you want the full programme it's a lot cheaper than ploytrans.
  • backsteptbackstept2089 Posts: 930Member
    I definitely recommend Deep Exploration :thumb:
    Have you tried deep exploration by right hemisphere instead?

I believe it's a fully functional 30 day trial, and if you want the full programme it's a lot cheaper than ploytrans.

Nope, I have not. I'll definitaly check it out though. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it works.
    Sweet guys. It worked. Thanks! Just got a few textures that didn't load right, but other than that.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'm glad it's working for you. If you let me know which textures didn't load right, I can tell you how I UV mapped them and you can remap them. :thumb:
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    There ya go :)

I've got a full version of 3d exploration, so if you have any problems drop me a PM.