Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

UV Mapping Problems!

Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
Can someone explain a "flipped face" to me?

I am UVing some of my models for importing into a game, and I export them in 3DS, and send them off to my client.

I keep getting emails back that there are "flipped faces" and I'm not sure what that means.

Does it mean the texture is reversed on the model somehow? or that the texture is on the underside of the polygon and not visible.

I'm exporting from Carrara, where I just taught myself to UV, and exporting from there. I'm not flipping the UV polygons when I design the export template, just selecting the pertinent polygons and doing a straight on X,Y or Z projection, and moving it around untill everything fits.

Everything looks fine in Carrara, which is not surprising, but the exporting just sucks horribly, with complaints of "flipped faces" all over the place, but I'm not sure I know how to fix it, or what's causing it!

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's the Carrara 3DS export, and I've tried to made it as clean as possible. Texture included. Please don't distribute.

My first born to whomever helps me out! :D

-A
Post edited by Klavs81 on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    mmh, k i think he means the following...

normally, a polygon is only visible from one side. most programs though have an option, that allows a 2 sided display. now, since game engines don't support that, that one sided view is only possible and depending on how well/bad you modelled your mesh, there can be the chance, that two polygons, the lie next to each other might face into different directions, resulting in one being invisble from a certain POV. to fix that, check your program, if it has somewhere the option to allign normals. that should fix your problem. otherwise, you have to disable the "view 2-sided" and manually select each wrong facing polygon and flip their facing direction.
  • TripTrip0 Posts: 0Member
    I am modeling for Hlaf Life 2 mod and we discovered recently that when you use mirror tool in 3d Studio max you get flipped faces most of the models i needed to redone because we couldn't compile them for game.
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Okay, fixed! Thanks guys.