Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Blender: SubSurf

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
Just a quick question:

I'm not really sure how to word this since I'm new to the whole 3D thing but...In Blender is there any way of only adding SubSurf to certain parts of a layer without it being applied to everything on that layer?

I'm trying to make square windows on my WIP right now but when I apply Subsurf to the hull they get rounded, do I have to move them to a new layer?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

• SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    SubSurf isn't layer based - it's object based and nowadays acts as a modifier.

Just remember that subsurfacing works by making a smooth path between the vertices available - if you want nice sharp windows, a trick is to detach your window frames from the main object that you have sub-surface applied to, and make sure that the 'holes' in the main object have sufficient verticies at the sharp corners to hide the edges within the window frame.

Alternately, and with more restrictions for later editing, is to complete your main mesh then use alt-C to convert it to a conventional mesh - that way you can move your window vertices around as you wish. Must admit however, I rarely do that because of afforsaid editing restrictions later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Thanks for the quick answer :)

Not sure if I'm ready to tackle that yet though with my extreme lack of experience :p might just leave windows out for now...
  • digidamndigidamn171 Posts: 0Member
    You can also use the Shift-E key combo to adjust the distance of the subsurfaced mesh to and from the acutal wireframe. Go into edit mode select the Verts(at least 2), face(s), or line(s) you want to affect and then hit Shift-E. Then use your mouse movement to change the distance.