Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Blender: Lighting problems

FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
I been looking for a Tut for this but have not been able to find any that was helpful. (As they were missing the information to do this.),
The pic below is of a weapon I am building for Original Freak design (Link can be found in my sig),What I want to do is have the blue and green object glow. (Like the warp nacelle form a Trek ship.),I am not sure if you can do this or make it transparent and put a light in it, to get the affect I need. Any help with this would be most grateful.
25014d1170409964-original-freak-design-can-4-copy.jpg
Post edited by Freak on

• elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    is this what kind of effect your looking for? :cool:
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    That's just what I am looking for. :D
    oh i uploaded a third pic with a texture applied to it to give a warp kinda plasma glow feel

let me know if you like the third pic
    That perfect.

So how did you do it?
    Freak wrote: »
    That perfect.

So how did you do it?

the man wants to know my secret? hehe ok will do

well made the generic object to represent yours, then selected what would be your green part, made the material transparent, using the ray transp, using what ever colors you wanted, then changed the specular of that new material to a darker color than the material color, so if its green a dark green for specularity....made it hard 1 and spec 0, for the shaders part of it...

played with the fresnel settings of the transparency, so i got a glass plastic feel i wanted....made a texture map with the voroni, played with it so i got that glowy line texture feel i wanted...then, still in the texture area, choose color, used the color ramp and played with the color and alpha...

then i used a area lamp, and put it almost right next to the face of the object you want to "glow", adjusting the size of the area, making sure its set to rectangle since your surface is a rectangle...(there is a very small space between the object surface and the lamp). I then apllied the same texture map to the lamp texture part so it makes a lighting effect that would "simulate" the idea that it was coming from within the object and the same texture being protrayed out from the inside idea...

played with how bright i wanted it and how far i wanted the effect to go for the light source, like i am using a distance of .8, if i did say 1 or so, the whole entire side would be lighted up with that plasma effect from the light...

but thats the jist of it in long format...short version? made the green material transparent to my liking, added a texture map voroni within blender, then applied a area light to the side of it, using same texture to simulate lighting from inside out....played with the intesity and distance...also used a color ramp for both the material affected and texture map applied...lol

and for really big objects like say a actual warp nacel, several small area lights would be used to light around the nacel or affected area...

and if i couldnt get even more confusing, here is the sample blend file for you :)
    I think I understood what your saying :lol:
    I'll post up the results for you to see.
    Thanks elitewolverine :thumb:
    As promissed here are my results. It still needs alot of work but you get the basic Idea. That I under stood you.
    That File you post 100% Thanks again elitewolverine :thumb:
    hey no prob, it looks pretty good so far keep tweaking it, i know you will be able to get that dark green plasma line glow from it make it look all bad ass and what not...cant wait to see them both lit up
    I'll be posting the finished verion in Original Freak design thread, a link can be found in my sig.
  • BoogerMcBoogerMc176 Posts: 243Member
    Again here I am a bit late. For those of you who are Blender gurus, Elite's methods are probly the best dead on, but for us beginners (and yes I still considermyself as such) there are other ways. To make a material glow, simply increase the emit and the ambiance settings and adjust the translucency settings as well. You won't need to add lights, and you can play with the material's settings to achieve some very nice effects.

Again, this is just another method, I'm not saying mine is better, in fact it's kinda the cheat sheet way of doing things. I'm just offering information, nothing more.
    Thanks Booger, the more information on how to do things in Blender, is always helpful.
  • digidamndigidamn171 Posts: 0Member
    Check out the videos on this link. Shows how to use the sequencer and with the built in glow plugin to get some great glows.

I also have a tutorial archived on how to use this with the particle system to create an continous pulsing beam look. I can post if anyone wants it.

Opps forgot the link
    mke3.net / Footprints in a digital world by Matt Ebb A? Archive A? Live on Camera
    digidamn wrote: »
    Check out the videos on this link. Shows how to use the sequencer and with the built in glow plugin to get some great glows.

I also have a tutorial archived on how to use this with the particle system to create an continous pulsing beam look. I can post if anyone wants it.

sure always love to have stuff about blender and what people can do with different things in different ways...never hold back with blender ;)
    @ digidamn that link times out. Put everything you got,

@ elitewolverine, Could you take a look at this file, I followed the steps you gave me, but I am still not achiving the look I am after. As you know I want the object to have an ilumanse look to them. An help would be most greatful.
  • digidamndigidamn171 Posts: 0Member
    that link is intresting. I am shore that will come ing handy at some point.

@ elitewolverine, have you had a chance to have a look at that file I posted?
    that link is intresting. I am shore that will come ing handy at some point.

@ elitewolverine, have you had a chance to have a look at that file I posted?

yea looking at it now...although it would be nice if you had a picture of the kind of lighting you are trying to get out of the lights....i take it your having trouble with the blue one right?
    Both of then, this is the look I am going for,

25026d1170428339-blender-lighting-problems-glow1.jpg

but I want to be able to see the green clynder. the blue bit can be like in the pic.

Any help would be most greatful
    sorry i havent replied freak, been trying to get the blue light to look like that in some way, but i am still working on it, hope i will have something for you in a few hours...
    Thanks elite, I appreciate this. Thank for taking the time to help me out.
    Thanks elite, I appreciate this. Thank for taking the time to help me out.

no prob, still trying to find a solution to the blue light, not coming out right at the moment, etc, but got the green one pretty nice...

right now it looks like its all about materials and thats what i am playing with...lol funny when i am doing my carrier model i am thinking about your light problem, and will probably using the technique for my ship lights lol...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    you could always do a radiosity render(not AO). when you do it makes all of the emitting materials glow.
    Dallidas wrote: »
    you could always do a radiosity render(not AO). when you do it makes all of the emitting materials glow.

very true my friend, but i found that using lights and materials give it a shadowy appearance, that makes it go from bright to soft kinda thing...

and actually i do use emit, for the brightness of it and kinda to make it more contrasty i guess is the word or sharp....

well freak here is a non-AO render, and a AO-Render (needs work cause the world lights work different in AO settings)

hope this is the effect you are looking for :cool:, the main mesh is yours but i cleaned up the side circles for easier work with my laptop, but when im done all will have to do is append the materials and lights, and apply to your model :p
    Sweet that is just what I wanted.
    k this is abit of different render using yafray with blender....let me know what you think, took some tinkering back and forth but looks kinda cool ;)

the second one has a small different green setting than the first but the blue in each one stayed the same
    The second pic is what I am looking for. I love what you did with the blue.