Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

UV Wrapping starts with 45A° rotation ?

RoninRonin0 Posts: 0Member
hi,

just tried a bit around with texturing the floor of a hangar. Its circular shaped, with a rectangular shaft going downwarts below the floor.

made a screenshot, so all Details can be correct positioned, relative to the shaft , the Ship, and some other things i put into the scene.

face-select, UV/Image-Editor, CTRL+E to unwrap...result: the Image is rotated closely to 45°.
No problem so far, rotating it in UV/IMage-editor. but now, it looks weird. the hole of the shaft is not rectangular anymore, some kind of unexpexted deformation. Tried to correct that, but my texture contains 90°-angled lines..this would take more time i want to spend on only attaching a circular texture ^^

by the way, why does CTRL+E rotates the selected faces ? - the model is not rotated or rescaled in any way.

any ideas ? / know bug ?

thanks
Post edited by Ronin on

• SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    Ctrl-E now defaults to using the LSCM (sp?) method of unwrapping - Blender will make the best decisions that it can in regards to how to place the unwrapped faces on the flat desktop. Often that will just mean that each faces gets placed in order in a straight line, but it all depends on where you've put your seams.

It does not actually matter how the faces are placed on the 2D desktop, they will still map back onto the mesh correctly, but you may need to manipulate the faces and vertices into the best layout on the square. Sometimes, you just have to live with the shapes that it produces unless you are willing to manually move things around, but sometimes what causes the problem is connected with the way in which your seams are placed - sometimes it's just impossible to flatten a circle for example, if you've got other faces coming off it that would mean that they would be forced to overlap on the flat surface.

It would help if you do a screen shot of your mesh with seams displayed so that we can see how you've got them laid out.
  • RoninRonin0 Posts: 0Member
    here is a screen.

i hope there is a way to do this without hours of manual correction, otherwise i won't use textures for some time..again :mad: :cool:

thanks
  • RoninRonin0 Posts: 0Member
    solved it .... mostly. there where 5 quads attached to the floor directing downwards...the shaft. i seperated them.
    Now there is still a bit of deformation..but i'll first check the image again / try around.