Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Dual Screen 3DS Max - More than 4 Viewports?

Sukhoi_FlagonSukhoi_Flagon0 Posts: 0Member
Hi there,
ive just got my dual monitor setup, 2 19" tft's @ 1280x1024 resolution. now i want to run my 3ds max in dual screen setup, but have hit a problem. i can "drag" the window to cover both sides, and this works well enough, but i can only really have 3 viewports open effectively. what i want is a single viewport on one monitor running perspective view, with the standard 4 monitor layout on the other side. is this at all possible?
Cheers,
Sukhoi.
Post edited by Sukhoi_Flagon on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hi. I'm afraid I have some bad news. The max number of viewports for Max is 4. Or at least that's what the help files say.
  • Sukhoi_FlagonSukhoi_Flagon0 Posts: 0Member
    darn it, theres no 3rd party workaround for this?
    I have not seen any, but then again, I haven't looked.

I use a two screen set up here at work. One screen is for the view ports and I Alt+w between 4 views and full screen; mostly I am in full. The other screen has my command panel expanded out to 2 or 3 columns, and most of my tool bars floating around. I use the second screen for task specific menus too, like the material editor or adjusting animations in the curve editor so I can see the results in the viewport(s) on the other screen.
  • nulllnulll0 Posts: 0Member
    Ndege wrote: »
    I have not seen any, but then again, I haven't looked.

I use a two screen set up here at work. One screen is for the view ports and I Alt+w between 4 views and full screen; mostly I am in full. The other screen has my command panel expanded out to 2 or 3 columns, and most of my tool bars floating around. I use the second screen for task specific menus too, like the material editor or adjusting animations in the curve editor so I can see the results in the viewport(s) on the other screen.

I have a similar setup and i think it's the closest thing to getting max spread over 2 screens. usually for modelling i stick with 1 screen, but for animation or UV mapping i used the second screen for the curve editor or the UV edit window, especially for the latter it saves me alot of time compared to working on one screen and having to minimize the edit screen every time i go back to the model to select faces etc...
    Personaly I prefer just using one viewport and flicing between the views. I mostly use the dual screen setup for referene images files and curve editor.
  • newmannewman0 Posts: 0Member
    Nutsy wrote: »
    Personaly I prefer just using one viewport and flicing between the views. I mostly use the dual screen setup for referene images files and curve editor.

Same here. It would be nice to have the option Sukhoi_Flagon is talking about, however, in Autodesk's (or Discreet's, it's all the same to me :))defense, I can see the logic behind the viewport count limitation - and that's performance. The more the viewports on the screen(s) at once, the less fps you've got.
    Another thing to consider is, that your system will only work with full 3d acceleration on the primary display - meaning, keeping max on the secondary display only will yield a much lower fps performance rating then by keeping it only on the primary.
    As such, the secondary display is more suitable for less demanding stuff - I use it for reference materials, e-mail client, msn, that kind of stuff, and for Photoshop, when doing minor corrections with the textures, so I can see the result in max immediately.
    It would be nice to have the option, but I suspect that any system would become very, very sluggish with high-poly models in such a setup.