Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

[3ds max 8] preserving UVW's and material settings when exporting mesh

NightquestNightquest0 Posts: 0Member
I recently started to build a bar in 3d and with that bar comes a stage with instruments and all. I have been building the individual instruments in separate files and i want to import them into the bar mesh.

I did it like this. After the model is made I make a multi-subobject material with al the different materials from the instrument.
Than I assign a material modifier to all the parts of the mesh so they correspond with the right map channel. I then add the material and group alle th parts together.
I export the group and import them in the right file.

Now the problem is then when you export and import an object. max makes al the parts an editable mesh and you lose al the uvw maps an material ID's. It's also no longer a group.

Is there any way to export and import an object and keep the uvw maps and if possible also the material ID's.

thnx :)
Post edited by Nightquest on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    One way to avoid the issue is not to export the geometry if you don't have to (If it is going back into Max there is no reason to export the geometry). Save the files as regular Max files and use the "Merge..." command from the "File" drop down menu to bring the objects into your scene.

If there is a reason to import/export use a format like .obj. It keeps the UVW setup but you will still have to re-apply the actual materials.