Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Stock Footage

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
Hey All! I was recentley working with some anamations but i want to add an explosion. It was recommended that i use some stock footage. I understand what stock footage is but i don't know how to use it. Could someone please give me a link to a tutorial on it or some instructions? Thanks!

Max 8 SP3
Post edited by Unknown User on

• TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    I have a link to some stock footage that's royalty free. I'll have to dig up the bookmark when i get home... i don't know if they have explosions; it's been a while since I've been to that site.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    thanks! i understand how to get it, through some sites though. i would appreciate the link though! But what i need to know is how to add stock footage into a film i have no clue how to do it as stated above if anyone knows please post please! Thanks!
  • RamielRamiel336 Posts: 0Member
    use the video as a texture and apply it on a plane (to make it "transparent" use the same video as an alpha channel and copy it into the Opacity slot).
    Yeah what Ramiel said but you'll need to make sure the footage you're using has an associated alpha matte with it.
  • Badi_DeaBadi_Dea0 Posts: 0Member
    ArtBeats has some good stuff. but they are a little overused, its almost as recognizable as a Photoshop default lensflare...
    Artbeats - Search Results
    I think he's looking for free footage. Artbeats isn't exactly that lol:p
  • Badi_DeaBadi_Dea0 Posts: 0Member
    Free?

Well if you already have a camera...
    you just need some gasoline, mommies car is sure to have some!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

... then again, a trip to the hospital may be more expensive than ArtBeats... just barely... :flippy:
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    If you don't have a alpha mask with the footage you can try to use the SCREEN mode to overlay it if it was filmed on a black background. Or you can try to make your own mask by converting it to grayscale and then adjusting the levels/contrast to come up with a good enough mask to overlay the original footage on top of your scene....

Jeff
  • RamielRamiel336 Posts: 0Member
    If you use just the footage as an alpha map it works quite well (but only if it was filmed in front of a black background);)
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    There are some free space explosions that come with Max, look in the tutorials.
    It's easy to make your own "explosion" footage, just set a camera above a black floor, black out any windows so the room's completely dark (well, make sure you have a torch so you can see where you're going), make a Pringles cannon (pringles tube, peizo ignitor (usually from a cheap cigarette lighter), 2 lengths of wire (one to carry the "spark" and the other to return to the ignitor)) spray enough lighter gas into the tube, stand back, lights (out) camera (oh, make sure it's shielded from the flames!!!) action (WHOOOMF!!!), you may need to manually set the exposure settings on your camera so a few takes will be needed... :D

Oh, and be careful about doing this in a confined space, as it uses up oxygen and heats the room up fairly quickly....

I've never personally tried this method, but I have tried the flammabubbles method, now that's fun (but very dangerous!!!)... :D
    Oh, just a note, make the Pringles cannon BEFORE you plunge yourself into darkness, it helps to see what you're doing... :D
    If you're looking for explosions of a capital ship the above method won't work as good unless you have a high speed camera that can do 150 fps. so when you run it at 60 the explosion is moving slower and looks bigger. It should work well for fighters though are small craft.
    Tovette wrote: »
    If you're looking for explosions of a capital ship the above method won't work as good unless you have a high speed camera that can do 150 fps. so when you run it at 60 the explosion is moving slower and looks bigger. It should work well for fighters though are small craft.

Hmm, good point, I didn't think about the FPS rate.... :D
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    And if you're under 18, please get your parents permission before you try 2cvbloke's method.

We wouldn't want your parents sueing SciFi Meshes because 'you got the idea' from a member.