Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Advice Sought

ddocgddocg0 Posts: 0Member
Hello, I am looking for some advice concerning 3D models.

I will try to be brief in the explanation of my "problem"

I have produced a model in AutoCAD from solids which totals 11900 faces. I have exported my model in 3DS format for texturing in a seperate program.

Now, the creator of this program has asked that i reduce the number of poly's as they are too many at 11900.

I have managed to reduce this figure to 9528 though he is looking to have it reduced by a further 2000. He has advised that i should kill hidden geometry which would probably get me down to 7000 poly's.

Ok, my problem, I cannot kill any hidden faces due to the model being made from solids - or is there a way to do it?

Dave
Post edited by ddocg on

• backsteptbackstept2087 Posts: 930Member
    hmm . . . if you boolean everything together it would eliminate any overlapping geometry, but I'm sure you don't want it all to be one single object . . . hmm . . . I dunno :shiner:
  • ddocgddocg0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the reply, you are correct in that i do not want to have it as one single object.

I have considered re doing the model using polyline to outline the geometry, however, this won't export or render for that matter.

Do you know of a program that would allow me to copy the model using planar faces or polylines but, which would ahve to be renderable?

Thanks

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hello ddocg,

I might not understand your problem correctly, but it sounds like you could just import your .3ds file to Blender, or other 3d program you have access to, and delete the hidden geometry there. Blender is free for the taking if this is a direction you can or want to go.
  • ddocgddocg0 Posts: 0Member
    Ndege, thanks for the reply, your solution is exactly what i was needing.

Dave